Top up Question

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Singularity, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi there
    Just a question i have been wondering about...
    Water taken out by a skimmer, could this affect the salinty of a tank, over a period of a month or so and when using ATO. Or would the change be to small to make a difference ?

2. Guest

3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Tagging along here.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Singularity - this depends on how big your skimmer is and how much water your skimmer removes at a time....

My Bubble Magus BM-260 (when both pumps are running correctly - with pin wheel impellers), removes 25 litres a week of tank water (with extremely thick stinky muck) when I set the skimmer dry....

When I set it wet, it removes 25 litres of tank water a day....

So - YES. You HAVE to replace this with salt water..... else the topup RO water would make the tank hypo-saline...

5. lIghty

lIghty

IMHO it would be so small to even bother, I've yet to see any effect.

6. OP
    Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

OK thanks Jaques. So do you just add 25L saltwater over a week to replace the skimmed water and let your ATO go about its bussines ?

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Singularity..... But, as lIghty said - this is all relative. It depends on how much water your loose through your skimmate.

I don't do water changes - I just constantly replace my water...

8. OP
    Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Guess the best would be to keep checking salinty when you first start up between water changes, i only thought this could be a problem because i am going to run a huge skimmer on a relatively small tank.

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac

As Jacquesb said, it depends on the size of the skimmer, and on how wet it is running - and if I could add: on the ratio of the skimmer size vs the tank size.

My Deltec AP902 removes about 1 liter of skimmate a week (running quite dry), and the total water volume of the system is about 1000 liters - that does not make any measurable difference to the salinity. I do know of a few tanks where the skimmer is run so whet that it removes nearly 20 liters of skimmate per week, and in these cases it would have an effect, especially long-term.

Correct - check regularly for the first few months, and once you know for sure you could relax, or keep on compensating, as required. I have heard of systems that run both fresh (RO) water AND brine (salinity +40 ppt) reservoirs with a conductivity controller to compensate for salinity changes, but have never personally experienced the need for one.

Hennie

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

each system is different , as long as you are doing waterchanges on a weekly basis it shouldnt be a problem, if your salinity gets a little low add a little extra water when doing topup and let it(tank water)evapourate to the correct salinity.

Recent Posts