"TOP" top-up unit, "COOLEST" chiller unit, "REPUTABLE" RO unit?

Reaction score
Hi All

Some of you are aware that I will soon be purchasing my RSM 250. For those who do not know, this is a 250L all-in-one setup (almost:blush:).

I have been doing more research on the basic extra's that I will be needing. I guess that the heading sets out my question quite nicely: What are currently the "best", "value for money" (could you even use these two statements next to one another...inevitably you would have to reach a middleground) units out there?

This would cover:

1. Auto top-up units;

2. Chiller units;

3. RO units.

After a bit of my own research, my newbie opinion would be the following: Get a Tunze auto top-up, a Hailea chiller and a Waterboy RO unit...

Any opinions on this, maybe the sponsors could also please give their two cents worth, as they are on top of the current price tags?

Thanks a million!

They are all top brands and you will pay top $ .. Except for the RO unit, waterboy make good stuff at a good price :)

They are all top brands and you will pay top $ .. Except for the RO unit, waterboy make good stuff at a good price :)

Does that mean that they are the best available at the moment on the SA market?

tunze best top up

Haleia only brand other then aqua medic that i know of on the SA market, I think they made in the same factory with just a different sticker

Dont know of a better RO unit then the Water boys

ATU - SAGA
Reason,
Its got a min and max sensor. And can only run a pre-set time. If it do not reach top censor within time limit, an alarm goes off and unit stops working. No way you can change your salt system into freshwater. :thumbup:

because,
Chiller - I do not use a chiller, never had. So I can not comment on them. Just that they do consume loads of power.

ATU - I got 2 SAGA units, expensive, a lot more than others, but due to the timer option, a lot better in my opinion

RO unit, I got a DD unit, Waterboy is good. Others already commented.

Thanks again RiaanP!

I will unfortunately need a chiller... I have read on the RSM Owner's Club forum that the stock skimmer runs a little hot (even though the system has built in fans); furthermore, the room in which the setup is going to be unfortunately faces north and is a little on the warm side (even in winter months)... do not want poached fish for supper...

So much for the electricity bill :(

upgrade the stock skimmer :)

Get a Tunze auto top-up, a Hailea chiller and a Waterboy RO unit...
Not really going to get better than that, apart from the alternate Topup that Riaan said, Saga is another option, only other top-up option is DIY really.

upgrade the stock skimmer :)

I have thought of that, but I want the challenge of disproving all of those who have criticized the RSM; I want to see how well it can run with the stock setup (I do not feel I would be changing it by adding a chiller & ATU, but replacing the skimmer would be a major alteration).

Let's see how the first few months go, I may eventually decide to upgrade the skimmer (as dizzyg did).

Not really going to get better than that, apart from the alternate Topup that Riaan said, Saga is another option, only other top-up option is DIY really.

Thanx Viper357... now to give the sponsors a call and get a few quotes:thumbup:...

thanks for the positive comments guys......
when i read threads and posts like this, it makes me wanna do even more......
look forward to hooking you up commando:yeahdude:

Eventually you will probably upgrade the skimmer and will upgrade the lights with better globes :) ... I think the RSM keeps heat because the hood is closed but its good that you have been researching and talking to RSM owners :)

im a bit too lazy to do research right now, but what light does the tank have standard? dimensions? they are expensive arnet they? im looking for a nice cube like boyo i can play around with

Hi Johan.

The stock lighting aint too bad... I have seen some amazing coral growth (and also success with nennies) in the RSM 250 threads (a lot of great Youtube vids too, some of which track the RSM from setup onwards). I have also seen great coral growth in the smaller RSM130 setups.

As stated above, I am going to try and run the setup as stock standard for a few months and see what happens, no immediate changes to lighting, etc.

Once I have my tank, I will start a detailed thread... I look forward to receiving lots of input & comments.

Eventually you will probably upgrade the skimmer and will upgrade the lights with better globes :) ... I think the RSM keeps heat because the hood is closed but its good that you have been researching and talking to RSM owners :)

I agree Tremayn, stock lights are not the best on the RSM, change to geisemann IMHO, I have never used a chiller, bought a cooling fan and added to my sum, temp stays at 26.
I can gaurantee that you will change the setup, no system is perfect and the RSM is GREAT, but it is not the best you can do for your life stock.

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!:)

I agree Tremayn, stock lights are not the best on the RSM, change to geisemann IMHO, I have never used a chiller, bought a cooling fan and added to my sum, temp stays at 26.
I can gaurantee that you will change the setup, no system is perfect and the RSM is GREAT, but it is not the best you can do for your life stock.

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!:)

Hi there!

Thanks for the input.

Any other tips for the RSM 250... stocking, etc...? I have read SO MANY articles and blogs on all the modding that can be done, but I need more tips on general tank setup, appropriate inhabitants for a community 250L, etc.

Do you by any chance have a thread on your tank that I can follow?

Back
Top Bottom