Tools/advice needed to build a fish tank

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Awvince, 26 Nov 2008.

1. Awvince

Awvince Here fishie fishie

Good day people.

I want to buuild my own fish tank. What tools would I need, what type of clamps are recommended and how long would it take for the silicon to cure.

How do you do the bottom bracing?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

how big tank do you want to build....specs?

4. Andreas

Andreas

I would cure the silicone for at least 2 weeks.You can do the bracing once the initial setup is complete.How big do you want to go?

5. Awvince

Awvince Thread Starter Here fishie fishie

2.2m x .08m x .08m. euro braced

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

what are you gonna grow in there? sand? haha you mean 2.2X0.8X0.8m correct? that sounds very nice. bit deep though, you are going to have one hell of a time trying to clean that deep. width is good. My 2m is 750 deep and my arms would just be able to touch the bottom if i try touch it straight down, now trying to touch the bottom towards the back of the tank....screwed. so unless you have orangutan arms and your tank is reachable on all sides i'd rethink that a little. sounds like a cool job to do though:thumbup:

7. Awvince

OOPS, Yip that is what I meant.

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

forgot to mention also, that if you are going to corals you are going to need serious lighting, i had to forget about my T5s to light it up:( gone 250w MHs now and they look cool:thumbup: so, why did you choose those dimentions? what skimmer are you going to run on it cause that is going to be some serious water volume to skim..

9. Andreas

Andreas

Nice size but as Scuba has said 850 is a tad deep:whistling:.

See what you can get the glass for and compare that to the price of getting it build for you.Sometimes it's not worth the effort and restless nights thinking that it might just pop. I was a tad bit worried when I changed the front glass of my 1.8m tank:whistling:

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

850?? now what are you smoking? yeah that is a good idea though, you are going to be paying out of every body part for the glass, you may just want to pay that extra bit to get it done professionally where you know it wont break/or if it does you know its the builders fault

11. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I agee with the ninja here - you will be paying not a lot more for a pro made tank than it would cost you to get the glass, it will be worth it for the peace of mind that goes with it and what a tank you will have:)

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Scuba and Mike. Just remember the builders get their glass cheaper because they buy bulk. I would suggest get a few quotes and then get quotes on the same size glass and include your tools, silicone, labour, time, glass that breaks from hick ups etc. I did a comparison once on a tank I wanted and there was R50 difference.

13. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Just answer the mans questions.Awvince. You would need 4 corner clamps, pure alcohol from the chemist to clean the glass. Alot of masking tape to ensure a nice straight silicone bead.Alot of marine silicone sealer.Polystyrene base.I suggest you try and build it on its stand, because the tank gets heavier as you build it and moving it becomes difficult unless you have helping hands.After its built and you happy with the joints etc, let it cure for 2 weeks and test it out by filling it. Its a good idea to rinse it out as well before putting the salt water in.For additional strength you can brace the tank on the outsides using aluminium (like angle iron) It can also hide the silicon beads if they look crap.I regret not getting the front panel made out of starfire glass. now i have a green tint to the water.
    If you go this root you'll need to ensure that you dont have excess silicone on the bottoms of the side panels. For the bottom bracing (If you go this root you'll need to ensure that you dont have excess silicone on the bottoms of the side panels.) you'd first need the side panels all in place, then the bracing glass will go on the inside of the tank against the edges. Put silicone on the edges and the base before you push it up against the side panels. It gives the outer panel more contact with silicone ensuring a stronger joint. Then put a bead of silicone in the corners between the bracing and the side panels. Rather go the aluminium root as a novice. If its done properly will look really nice and it'll be stronger than eurobracing at the bottom.

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

2 competent builders (1 yourself and another who can improvise to line up the glass should it shift) methylated spirits, glue / gluegun. beers and chicks... im sure you will be cool from there...

15. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

No beers and no chicks, i know you benoni type. lol

16. Pete

Pete

:lol: at Les

Awvince give me a should will be willing to help you.I have got all the clamps and things already and can get you a qoute on glass too...Built my own tank a month ago...

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Go for it man Just brace it leka and you will be sorted.

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip pete got the contacts, give him a shout;)

oja pete i'm still waiting for you,give me a call sometime:thumbup:

19. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

20. Awvince

Thanks a lot for the info people.

Pete, I'll pm you soon.

21. Blake Clements

Blake Clements

Hello to members

Hi just joined will be picking your brains when I start building a Salt water aquarium. I am doing some research on the internet at the moment and need to decide on size and shape etc.

Recent Posts