Took the plunge - Bubble magnus Curve-5

Reaction score
So I've been in marine tanks not since End October last year (Same age as tank)

Today I finally decided to invest in a skimmer for my 200L tank, previously just to Cheato compartments in my 50L sump. I have been a bit hesitant, as it is a lot of money.

I decided on the Curve 5, as it is short enough for my sump and it seems the best value for money.

Do skimmers reduce the number of water changes you need to do?

I used to do 25L a week, with a lightly stocked tank (2 clowns, 2 small anemones, Cleaner shrimp and some Kenya trees and a Zoa).

Jscholtz014

210 LITRE AQUARIUM
Reaction score
hi, im running a 210l tank.
it is heavily stocked with livestock and coral.
i have the Curve 3.5- maybe a bit on the smaller side but it pulls crap out like a bomb, i do biweekly or triweekly water changes.

i have a a pair of cleaner shrimp, 6 fish (3 tangs), and lots of softies

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good to know, hoping the pollutants is not to little that no foam forms. Wanted smaller one, but couldn't find any nice ones. Also need a bit of rescape, to make sure flow is around the rocks.

Jscholtz014

210 LITRE AQUARIUM
Reaction score
What wavemakers are you running and how many?
Is it possible to see your setup?

Last edited:
Reaction score
What wavemakers are you running and how many?
Is it possible to see your setup?

One can see the algae starting on the sand, another reason I want to get the skimmer running. Also replacing the one wave maker with a magnetic one

Jscholtz014

210 LITRE AQUARIUM
Reaction score
If I can give a tip with the sand, when you do your water changes, try siphoning the sand. That will get rid of pollutants and also give a cleaner look to the tank. I also struggled with bad sand issues the first few months.
IMO, I set my skimmer that I remove the skimate from the cup every water change.
For now, try find a balance between dry (more concentrated skimate in cup) and wet skimming ( less concentrated) that gives you the maximum removal of particles during your water changes.

Reaction score
Thanks for sand cleaning tip. Problem is my sand is so fine, I can siphon it nicely, with my freshwater tanks, the pool filter sand is nice and heavy. but this one just gets sucked up. perhaps need to change substrate

Jscholtz014

210 LITRE AQUARIUM
Reaction score
No problem bud.
If you dont mind the look, you can mix some courser reef sand with your sand.
The idea when siphoning sand is to suck it up, and once the filth is in the sand filter, pinch the pipe to drop the sand and then release to carry on sucking, if that makes sense.
How does your sump look?:thumbup1:

Reaction score
Skimmer in the post, will send update once it arrives, Maybe going to need to convert sump to 3 baffle system, (Put skimmer and inlet in same section, refugium in 2nd and pump in 3rd), as skimmer might be a little big for the intermediate compartment.

Top Bottom