Too much too soon????

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brentv, 9 Nov 2009.

1. brentv

brentv

hey peeps,
    I have an Aqua H2O set up for about 3 and a half weeks.
    I added necessary bio accelerators... tank is running perfect skimming lighting great small computer fans blowing the T5's hot air away the whole toot....
    Now here is the thing, I am naughty, I've added quite a bit of inhabitants:
    -Live rock
    -2 small tree leathers
    -1 brain coral
    -elephant ears
    -3 other local hard corals
    -fire shrimp
    -flag tail pipe fish
    all is running well, I did a water change of 20% all ready (running coral sea reef crystals in RO water) I'm adding calcium, strontium, kalkwasser, iodine, etc! once a week, and feeding 5ml of zooplankton every 4 days!
    I've had no algea blooms you normally get in a new set up and my nitrates and phosphates are good...
    My question is what problems do you guys think I should look for to keep everything stable, eg. water changes etc???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Which ones?
    For now get yourself some Seachem Stability and follow the instructions on the bottle.

4. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If your tank hasn't cycled properly, your nitrates will be close to 0. It's your ammonia and nitrites that are poisonous to the inhabitants and should be monitored.
    That will change. Your LFS should have told you to wait. In future, take what they tell you with a pinch of salt, as they're obviously very keen on your money.

5. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

I'll check what is is called when i get home tonight.
    let you know tomorrow...
    If I add the seachem, does that mean I should consider slowing the inhabitants I put in down, sux being impatient but I was thinking of adding a small goby or a pair of clowns this weekend? ...

6. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Check your ammonia and nitrite levels first!

7. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Mudshark,
    with the amonia and nitrates, do you think the seachem suggested by viper will be enough or do you think I should up the water changes or once every 2 weeks good at this early stage?

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

..,.,.sorry my bad, nitrites!

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Brentv - you are way too hasty to add livestock. You need to let nature take its course and cycle the tank properly. You will get an ammonia spike and that might kill your livestock.

Did the tank run with live rock for the past 3,5 weeks and did you only add a bit extra with the livestock or was this the first time adding LR?
    Remember that liverock will also cause ammonia to go up if it is not cured.

I would say leave the tank to run a bit longer (2 weeks) and only after the tests for ammonia and nitrite shows 0, then you can add a fish or two more - waiting 2 weeks inbetween.

Please don't be so impatient, you will only let the animals suffer and possibly die - and you'll lose your money.

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I hope you have enough food for the pipe fish. They seldom eat prepared foods and in a newly setup tank there will not be enough copods etc for them.

11. Boendoe

Boendoe

Hi Brentv

Your best bet would to ask a fellow reefer to keep your livestock in till your tank has cycled, but a weekly water change will also so help to dilute the nasties a bit. But in turn your tank will the take longer to cycle.

All these quick fixes that the LFS sells does not work, you will only waste your money. Give your tank time and let nature do it's job.

12. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I'm not familiar with the product. When cycling the tank you are trying to colonise the tank with bacteria that eat ammonia and convert it to nitrite. Then you need the denitrifying bacteria that eat nitrite and convert it to nitrate to take off. After that anaerobic complete the cycle by converting nitates to harmless nitrogen. These processes are taking place continuously and simultaneously. For the bacteria colonies to be stable, and cope with the bioload of your tank, can take months or more.

Patience is the only thing that will give you long term results. Don't add anymore fish for now. You need to do at least 15% waterchanges a week at this stage. Monitor the ammonia and nitrite and when that's 0, you can start adding some more fish at the rate of one a week. Plan which fish you want to add so that you don't have territorial disputes later.

13. Boendoe

Boendoe

How strong is your water flow in the tank?

14. Sentari

Sentari

Not to scare you but we've had a few guys here that have had those tanks burst on them. Just be very careful and enjoy your journey!

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why do you ask if you already know the answer?

To put things in simple terms. And this is after your tank has cycled. You have 2 fish and let us say 1000 bacteria eating the fish poop. Everything is balanced.

You add 2 more fish, and who is going to eat the extra poop? The 1000 bacteria first have to multiply and stabilize at 2000 before things are even again. But before that you add another 2 fish. So you have more fish poo than bacteria being able to digest it. And then you overfeed, resulting in more crap that the small bacterial colony can handle.

Result

Bad water parameters.

So slow down, get a stick from a tree to scratch your a$$

Else in a few weeks time, I will go "I told you so" (amongst others).

Or you will feel so guilty or whatever that you will not post your tank state or you will not visit MASA and that is not good either. Here is a lot of information to learn.

Please do not take my comment up as too critical, after all it is your money wasted and your lifestock live that is on the line.

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Hey Brent... as you can see some of us get quite emotional about the little critters in our systems. We mean well though, and don't want to chase you away. Just keep asking questions. We'll try to remember that no question is stupid... only the ones that you don't ask. We all started out wanting to see a beautiful tank in our home overnight. Stick with us and we'll take you there......... albeit over a few months.

17. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Hey guys... my impatience has stirred up a bit of criticism and rightly so!
    Firstly I do value the life of all my inhabitants and don't want to see any of them do something they've never done before.
    to answer some of the questions:
    my tank is thriving with multitudes os small copepods and other "bugs" I have posted a thread before asking about collecting plankton in rock pools at night and the response was positive, I have tried this and have a large happy supply feeding my fat little pipefish. The current in the tank is medium, I have my return sump pump and a small powerhead running a wave cycle 1sec on and 6 off, it also is on a timer to go off an hour before the lights go out.
    I will be doing more frequent water changes these next few months (1 a week) and I will monitor the Nitrite and Ammonia.
    no more introductions for a few weeks... promise!

18. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Brent...see you got quite a few comments already but for the record here is mine.

Firstly your tank still needs to do its cycle thing & yes I know its hell but trust me in the long run you will reap the rewards.

Secondly as far as I am aware (I stand corrected) it is illegal to remove local stoney corals..please refrain

Thirdly WHO THE HELL SOLD YOU A PIPE FISH ? see if you can get that guy to someone with the right system , know how etc. This is not your fault but that of the LFS, they should have advised you about the requirements.

Also just be careful of too many supplements if yo are unable to test for all with reliable test kits...the whole chemical thing interacts (there are good articles / calculators etc out there and really knowledgeable people on MASA...just ask)

Good luck & please keep on posting ...remember your LS is the primary concern, your viewing pleasure secondary

19. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

guys, I'll try get some pics of my set up on tonight.

20. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Thanks Frans,
    Have taken your advice and that of the other MASA guys into effect.

21. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

...eish this would not be good! where do they seem to burst?

Recent Posts