Too much or too little flow?

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I know this tank that is +-3mx800x800 and I am concerned about the flow in this system. In overall the flow in the tank is huge, but it has problems associated with too little flow(Cyano), and it is a MISSION to find a suitable place for the coral in it. If you change the flow in one area then something else it that area goois a tantrum while the original sulker is jubilating.
The total flow in this tank started off at30000l and now sits at not less than 50000l. The flow increase did nothing to the Cyano and also kept a small % of the coral happy, the rest sulks every 2nd day.
Is there specific designs that works better in big tanks?
All the tests is ok or borders very close to what it should be.
Quite a variety of coral in the tank.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Could you possibly do a diagram of how the flow works in the tank.

Is is from 1 or 2 central points, By the sound of things you have huge flow in some areas and to little in others.

And finally, where are the pics:D

Reaction score
Herkie, what are the parameters and what is your phosphate reading.

Tank size is approximately 1000l give or take, so that makes 50 X tank turnover. This is sufficient flow. Placement of powerheads / water moving devices needs to be played around with.
Also random alternating flow is preffered as opposed to constant one directional flow. Wave maker device or simple light timer would help by switching some pumps off to allow currents to constantly change and swirl, helping to prevent the build up of detritus.

Flow needs to be directed towards the overflow as much as possbile. Your skimmer plays an important role in nutrient removal, but is only as effective as the raw water that feeds it.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
More flow

Could you possibly do a diagram of how the flow works in the tank.
Hold on, I grew up when we had parrafin lamps and no computers.(Also no ESCOM and loadshedding.) Should be able to get a diagram going by tomorrow night.

Is is from 1 or 2 central points, By the sound of things you have huge flow in some areas and to little in others.
It is very possible, quite a few of the pumps are small ones, should you have less pumps and bigger flow?

And finally, where are the pics:D
One day when I'm grown up. Will try tomorrouw-nothing guaranteed.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
DragonReef, you make sense. I think the timer thing can possibly change things at a reasonable price. I get the idea this tank needs a BIG PUMP.

Reaction score
As a cheap option I use one of these boyu timers. I fits 2 power heads to a unit and when the one switches off the other switches on. Only R100.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Cyano

Mekaeel, I did the vodka thing for a short while and stopped. I would l;ove to have a tank this size but unfortunately its not mine. You might see it if you come for a visit.

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Mekaeel, I did the vodka thing for a short while and stopped. I would l;ove to have a tank this size but unfortunately its not mine. You might see it if you come for a visit.
yeah im over due for a visit.gotta come your way.any particular reason why you stopped with the vodka dosing?negative effects?

Reaction score
by the way you got a pic of the timer?
No but I will take one over the weekend. Check out the electronic timer that is posted in the other thread as well. You have got much better control and it also has battery back up for our power outages.

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
Mekaeel, I saw some cyano pop up and read some other ous also had that and then decided im fiddling with something I dont really need.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Herkie -

Here's my opinion - I think personally two very strong pumps, one at each end of the tank, with the outlets pointing towards each other, and then some smaller pumps at very low levels, (inbetween the live rock) that moves water from back to front...

That should give you quite a decent turbulent flow, especially if you can even put these pumps on timers or wavemakers... a 3 Metre tank is HUGE - and the amount of water in there will have to be moved...

Perhaps 4 ReSun 15000 Wavemakers (one in each corner) should DEFINITELY do the trick - as they are on wavemaker timers, and when they blow at their highest setting the move 15000 litres of water per minute! THAT's quite strong!

Reaction score
Hi Herkie -

Here's my opinion - I think personally two very strong pumps, one at each end of the tank, with the outlets pointing towards each other, and then some smaller pumps at very low levels, (inbetween the live rock) that moves water from back to front...

That should give you quite a decent turbulent flow, especially if you can even put these pumps on timers or wavemakers... a 3 Metre tank is HUGE - and the amount of water in there will have to be moved...

Perhaps 4 ReSun 15000 Wavemakers (one in each corner) should DEFINITELY do the trick - as they are on wavemaker timers, and when they blow at their highest setting the move 15000 litres of water per minute! THAT's quite strong!
Agree on the wavemakers, but pumps in bottom of tank between live rock is not always good, as it will be difficult to reach as well as maintenance if something goes wrong- you'll have to unpack the rock again. Just a thought