Too much lighting

Reaction score
quick question would to much lighting effect some corals like softies.
If I where to go the mh root.
what would be the best wattage mh for a 24g nano system.
remembering i have a few softies and lps that i really don't want to be damaged.
would they be effected considering they in a smaller tank therefore closer to the light.

For a 24G nano with softies and LPS,T5's would be sufficient.

but if i wanted to start SPS?
that wouldn't be enough will it?

SPS in a nano going be tough without even considering lighting. If you make sure the SPS is high up on the reef, T5's can do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things to look at.
Does your nano have any plastic on top, are you able to remove it.
Will you be able to control the heat if it becomes an issue.

Now days you will be able to keep most things under both types of light. (you will still get some people that will argue that)
It is all about placement and knowing the requirement of the corals. Remember it is not only about light, flow and food are just as important if not more. With MH it is very important to acclimatize the corals to the light.

SPS in a nano going be tough without even considering lighting. If you make sure the SOS is high up on the reef, T5's can do the job.

why do you say tough?
i know they require alot of work.
I have seen quiet a few tanks nano with sps.
where i want to put sps is quiet high in the tank.
I have already put another globe in the tank making my lighting 100watts is that enough.
not going to do the sps right now but in like September i want to give it a try. Like to to take my time but also have plans for the tank :thumbup:

why do you say tough?

Ask guys like Mekaeel and Puppy, they can give a run down on the list of requirements for SPS. I think the biggest problem is keeping water quality 100%, due to the smaller volume, the swings can be quite hectic.

A sps coral may "live" in your tank but to get them to look like these SPS addicts' coral stock going take a whole lot of work.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted, especially with pics ;)

September bro ;)
my water quality is very good i am quiet a stickler for that. plus
I have a clam in my tank.
he has been in my tank for about a month and a half. he is loving life PS high in the tank because of his lighting requirements. so he helps with filtering

one quick question.
the new bulb that i put in about 2 months ago is "WHite" if i where to swop it for a "BLue and white" combo ie same as the other blubs in the tank.
"Just to enhance the coral colour by adding more actinic lighting".
would that really effect the clam and sps growth when i eventually try sps out.
Or should i keep the "white" bulb.

I reckon stay with the white, the blue lights are not going cut it for clams and SPS.

anyone know of good websites, link to previous threads or just plan advice on the list of requirements for SPS. So i can start doing my research?

Mike - even though someone like Mekaeel or Puppy or Irie Ivan can perhaps rather comment better than me, I would say that it is not impossible, BUT rather a lot more difficult to keep SPS succesfully in a nano.
And I too would then rather say go T5.
Kanga kept the most awesome SPS corals in his tank, only with T5's....
BUT - the big thing about SPS - they LOVE a LOT of light - so you will need QUITE a few T5's over your nano, and they need a VERY low nutrient system. Meaning that you will perhaps have to increase your water change regime even more. Or perhaps invest in a nano-skimmer..... This will assist with achieving the "very low nutrient" environment that SPS require....

Keep in mind,most SPS frag farms are lit by T5's.But these tanks are 30-40cm deep.

I have a chiller. keep temp at 25deg
100watts of t5 lighting.
I would put the frags very high up the lowest would probably be 20cm deep.
how do you target feed ( turkey baster?) how many times etc.
flow?

I have a chiller. keep temp at 25deg
100watts of t5 lighting.
I would put the frags very high up the lowest would probably be 20cm deep.
how do you target feed ( turkey baster?) how many times etc.
flow?

What are you wanting to target feed ?

well i have been reading some of the threads about sps. "when i am really supposed to be studying". but anyways.
some guys always say something about feeding individual sps.
listen i know nothing about sps.:)
thats why i want to do as much research as possible and know exactly what i am doing before i get some sps

Back
Top Bottom