Too much flow ???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Marius Geyser, 3 Mar 2014.

1. Marius Geyser

Marius Geyser

Hi All

I have just set up a mp10 and mp40 in a master slave configuration. Tank length 1,5m . Setting on mp is Eco smart.

Also running a return pump reef octopus hy-5000 with 2 out lets in the back corners of the tank.

Keeping soft corals , Mushrooms clam, Frog spawn.

I saw that my frog spawn retracted, and extended again when the mp went in to night mode.

Could I have to much flow??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Some smart guy on the forum says you can never have too much flow....

Those pumps on a tank that size doesn't sound like too much. The frogspawn might take some time to adjust to the changes in flow. Corals do go into feeding mode at night so the frogspawn might be doing that and not reacting to the decrease in flow

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have way more than that on my tank. The corals will adjust.

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Thanks David.... I'll take the smart guy as a compliment. However, I am not all that smart actually, just inclined to rather feed whats left of my brain than talk sh!t...
    I must admit that my statements are generally based on the corals I keep.... Generally referred to as reef crest... Predominantly acroporids.
    Most of the regular softies and lps (sarcophyton, lobophyton, favites, xenids, ricordia yuma, etc. are also found in this zone, truth is they are more ubundant in lower flow areas... But there are some stunning acropora and porites etc in low flow areas too.
    Generally deeper down...
    Never quite sure if this is a case of proximity to food, preferred lighting wavelengths or current dynamics.... Or all of the aforementioned...
    Truth is, the flow is vastly different, not nessasarily less, just very different.
    As it is near impossible for us to emulate quality of flow, we do somehow try (and to some degree succeed) in compensating with quantity and quality.
    If your corals seem "unhappy" adjust the flow, move them, although happy is a matter of perception, yours, the corals... Not sure..
    Just dont blast them with continuous shearing flow. If corals with larger polyps keep their polyps retracted for extended periods after flow adjustment, adjust the flow in their area or move them.... Not reduce the overall flow, just the type the individual is exposed to.

6. Marius Geyser

Marius Geyser Thread Starter

Thanks so far

Recent Posts