Too much chaeto, does it affect redox ?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Stressed Eric, 30 Sep 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out why my pod population in my dsb fluctuates so wildly - one moment it's teeming, the next, empty, and with no predation in there that i know of. What I'm suspecting is that i may have redox issues, my chaeto and algae scrubber is growing mad because i over feed so much. With so much algae, is it possible that my oxygen level is dropping to levels that kill off the pods ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Do you experience any p.H fluctuations between day and night readings. The chaeto shouldn't affect your redox as they still breathe at night meaning they take up CO2 and give off O2. It just slows down a lot. If you're worried put your chaeto on a reverse cycle whcih will combat any p.H swings, if you have any.

4. sunburst

sunburst

Photosynthesis will provide oxygen. Not remove. This will raise pH, Oxygen, Redox. At lights out the drop in oxygen will depress pH and redox. I stand to correction but can we not run lights 24/7 with chaeto ?

5. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric Thread Starter

I havent been charting my pH yet, but will monitor it closely for the next few days and nights and see if there is much swing - if so I'll go for the cycling route and see if that helps.

Recent Posts