too many water changes

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 6 Feb 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey guys.Im changing my sand bed in my display tank. Ive got a buyo 130 litre tank. As my no2,po4 readings go up after each bit of crusheed coral(im doing it a quarter every 5th day) that I take out. Im doing a 10 litre water change every 2nd day. Am I doing too many or can I continue. I would like to change a bit more. Im running a fish only setup with 16kg of live rock. Ive also got phosguard and purigen and activated charcoal(charcoal I only run when neccesary,but the phosguard and ourigen i run all the time). Should I worry about killing the worm etc as im changing from a dsb to a ssb or doesnt it matter if I cyphon them up when cleaning. thanks for all the help and sorry about all the questions

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

What other live stock you have in the tank? Doing more water changes to keep the parameters in check is good as long as the new mix is roughly the same temp and should be the same salinity as the tank water. It is also best if it's matured for 24hrs.
    Try not to syphon out too many worms as they are the scavengers in the tank :)

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

thaks for the quick reply. I use natural sea water which I had tested and its really good the water. I filter the water with a 1 micron filter. I then mix it with ro/di water.There no traces of oil or anything in it.
    Ive only got fish(no live coral),2 turbo snails and 3 starfish. I always make sure of the temperature and also the salinity. Ive had my lights of for 2 weeks now trying to rid of some hair algea problem. Its much better now and I found the problem after a lot of money spend. I had a 15 cm deep sand bed which was crushed coral.but not fine.the bigger stuff.I was amazed to see how much crap came out from under the crap coral. Im changing to beach sand that I collect at low tide under the water mark. Its really clean as Hermanus dont have any large harbours or alot of traffic from boats.

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It's fine to use clean sea water, but why do you mix it with RO water? This will drop the salinity. You are supposed to use sea water as is and the RO for evaporation top ups, as only the water evaporates, not the salt.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

The salinity is quite high here sometimes. I only add about a litre of ro to 10 litres of sea water. I do top up with ro water. I also do tests quite often as Im a paranoid guy. thanx for the advice

Recent Posts