Too many horror stories

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have spent a bit of time reading through the forum…. too much actually....

Very good advice and interesting links – good work.

What disturbs me is some of the horror stories I read, some good examples are on the new members forums. Stories of nennies in two month old tanks and people trying to force a clown into a nenny. What is more disturbing is that when members ask for parameters and test readings all to often the response is “gee do I test for that” or they just don’t reply as they don’t have a test kit. One reply was the kit is too expensive – happy to spend money on an animal but cant provide a proper home. Not all people are that bad some make honest mistakes , it’s the people that just don’t care that get to me.

How do we stop this? How do we get people to do the research and get good advice. The LFS that helped me with my first setup gave me poor advice … he is actually out of the game now sold the business to this poor chap that does not have a clue. Spent a bit of time with the new owner explaining IMHO what was wrong with the shop setup – starting with the ICH on all the fish.

I had test kits before I had any fish , when my ammonia was still high after 3 weeks of cycling I asked the LFS if this was normal his response was “ mmm we need to find the source of ammonia” I thought that me telling him that the tank was cycling should be an indication – he then wanted to sell me a clown to speed it up and a nenny ( in a 3 week old tank ) as this is needed to keep a clown. I knew that ammonia off the charts and ph in the high eights = death !!

Enough complaining ….. hope this does not happen too often

i hear you, it gets me too, but the sad truth is money talks, so people will sell u anything for a buck...

as for people that dont research etc, persisitantly try and educate, and i believe those that dont listen and carry one, i would report to the spca

Martinhal I'm afraid stuff like this does happen fairly often, not that much on the forum though because generally people who register here do so to learn. LFS's are always selling people stuff and when they come back and say "that fish you sold me died" most LFS's will sell you another one rather than a test kit or something. It's easier for them as it's human nature to buy the "pretty" thing or the nice-to-have thing rather than the required thing.

And that is also why Lfsés are making money. If something die in your tank, you have to buy another - not all Lfs'es, before I get chomped here...

Hi all

Actually my lfs knows everything about my tank because I only use one and he is quite honest. He will tell me if my tank is not ideal for certain livestock. He is not a sponsor so i cant mention the name.

And that is also why Lfsés are making money. If something die in your tank, you have to buy another - not all Lfs'es, before I get chomped here...

That is the problem .. they could make more money by selling test kits , this would help in the long run to educate fish keepers. My LFS knows my setup and gives advice accordingly eg he advised me against a Clown Tang ( nice fish) due to my tank size.. another LFS said no they dont need that much space. If I did not do my own research I would have ended up with one.

I had a LFS tell me not to take any notice of the people on this forum because they do not know everything. This was after a Mandarin I bought from him died after 2 days in my tank. Reading through this forum I realised that there was not enough food for him as my tank was only about 4 months old. Needless to say I have never gone back to that LFS as he was the one who did not know what he was talking about.

Ive recently been to a lfs that holds livestock in a tank with absolutely no skimmer and when I asked do they do water changes they looked at me funny. I immediately walked out.

Surely they must put some water in the system on a regular basis? I mean if they bag fish for a customer they take out some tank water...

Martin - this is indeed an unfortunate problem. Until such time that we have a really decent "governing body" that can "inspect" LFS's, this will CONTINUE to happen....

Only through LFS's becoming sponsors of sites like MASA, they can start participating, AND LEARNING. Then, the staff at LFS's SHOULD most likely start doing this type of thing less and less.

This issue have been discussed FAR too often - and I personally feel that we are trying our UTMOST best in educating people out there - that this kind of this DOES NOT, and WILL NOT happen.

Surely they must put some water in the system on a regular basis? I mean if they bag fish for a customer they take out some tank water...

I suppose they top up but i will not support that LFS

Back
Top Bottom