tonga branch live rock

Very cool rock and makes scaping very easy. Juts stack them, they sit solid and forms tons of holes for stuff to hide in. Expensive though.

this place in parow is selling it for 225pkg

thats a decent price for tonga branch. It is alot heavier/denser than other liverock. Personally id use other live rock (keny or figi) and a few pieces of tonga for structure.

thats a decent price for tonga branch. It is alot heavier/denser than other liverock. Personally id use other live rock (keny or figi) and a few pieces of tonga for structure.

I was thinking of buying it because my tank is long and narrow and it can assist when i scape! I will think of it some more

Isnt tonga very porous? That makes it lighter than say kenyan. Same goes for Fiji.

As far as I know, kenyan is the most dense of them all.

ive seena couple of tanks with it used to bridge and arch with, can be stunning and a little can go along way if u plan cleverly :)

In my opinion tonga rock is fantastic for SPS corals as you can provide a large amount of water movement and if carefully aquascaped can look amazing. This is not to say that you could not have a fish only aquarium or a soft coral aquarium with tonga rock as you would be able to. You would just have to bear in mind that you will need to create caves etc for the fish to hide in as well as creating ledges to place the soft corals on.
filtration – tonga rock is as good as any other Live Rock

Last edited:
Last I saw, was about R185/kg.... But a piece about 15cm weighs half of normal LR.... Also got lots of different shapes which can be really awesome for scaping...

Isnt tonga very porous?
it is porous and does the job of any liverock. It is very dense so your money doesnt get you very much.

Tonga works perfectly well in a fish only system....
Flappy's tank: Flappy`s New Starphire 2500l Project - Page 6 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

IMG_1586.jpg

is tonga rock normally that colour?
The one I saw looks like wood of a branch...more brown!
but i think they bit steep on the price!

I will have to go check it out again

Last edited:
Well, when I started cycling my tank with no experience, I started with a branch as the only piece of live rock...

picture.php

After a while it turned in to this:

picture.php

Now I wish I had bought more Tonga when I started.... Today its completely purple covered in coralline... have zoas growing on it, etc...
picture.php

AMAZING! can you send me a bigger picture of your setup please?
I need to scape my tank... need some ideas... and i need longer LR to bridge... mytank is very narrow!

Back
Top Bottom