Tomini tang eye

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Annoying, 23 Aug 2009.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

I added my tomini tang to my tank 3 days ago with my spotted foxface. The powder blue didn't like the new comers and chased them for a day or so but now they're ok and know their place. The problem is that for that day the pb was so agressive the tomini and foxface hid together under a rock. Now when I see the tomini swim around his one eye is like coted with little bubbles... It's not like normal bubbles more of a slime that covers it that looks like bubbles. I can't take a pic because he is still very shy and when I move he's gone so what I want to ask is that is it possible that the eye could have been caused by the foxface that could have pricked him or is it a disease...

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not seeing a pic it is difficult to tell. A fish's eye is very vulnerable to infection. IMO it could be a few things.

1) The eye may have been scratched when handled in a net. This might have damaged the slime coat and an infection has got in. If it gets worse it is best to remove to a quarantine tank and medicate with and anti bacterial medication like Myxazin.

2) If you have a high DO content in your aquarium or high N2 (Nitrogen Gas) the fish could contract gas bubble disease. This is rare, but is a consideration. You need to check for other signs like tiny bubbles on the edge of the fishes fins. The fish will also breath quite heavily. Due to the stress this fish has gone through this is possible.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah i think it may have picked up some micro bubbles. is the tang eating? is it healthy in general? like does it have a good amount of meat on its bones? i think its gone through enough stress already and you should just maintain good water quality and keep it feeding and it will get over the problem itself. how big is your tank? bad thing you having got a powder blue in before your other tangs as they're very very aggressive

5. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ya the tang is eating algae and stuff not yet the food I give him but he looks healthy: no stressed colouring,swims actively, normal breathing. It's bad I have the pb first but I had to add him as I was converting to the bigger tank and the previous tank wasn't in a good state. The tank is 1.8 meters by 60cm by 60 cm. It's a big tank so no stress in limitless swimming space but I think it may be an infection...

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

that isn't quite limitless space hey, but i guess he could be ok. if he's not eating flakes or any prepared food i'd be worried as he'd soon starve. but i think if he's active its a good sign and you shouldn't cause extra stress by pulling him out

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Sorry spelling mistake not limitless more limited soryy:whistling:. Ya He's hiding allot but he's new in the tank so I recone it's just shyness(I read that for a few days they may be very shy) I think for this reason he doesn't eat but he does graze on a;gae so I know he hasn't lost his appetite. Just wait and see I guess!

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Eye infections generally look worse than they are and in 90% of cases a fish will make a full recovery. This is of course provided that it is feeding and the powder Blue has calmed down. If it were me i would not stress the fish any further by moving it into another tank, just keep feeding and the fish should make a full recovery......please try feeding Nori to your tangs if you not already doing so.

9. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks thats a relieve... I don't feed nori I feed mixture of artemia flakes and marine flakes and bloodworms but I think I'm gonna start with nori beacause I thaught the tangs could get their greens from the algae but it's starting to clear so I'll start soon!

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@Annoying, Why are you feeding blood worms? Is that not like feeding steak to a cow? I am not sure that blood worms are a marine food species.
    IMO only natural foods that a fish would come across in it's natural environment are beneficial.

11. Andreas

Andreas

I agree with Alan. I would definately add Nori to their diet especially if you plan on adding a couple of tangs. You could add a bit of garlic juice to the Nori to add a bit of flavour to it.Drain excess off;)Let's hope that he starts eating flakes/nori:)

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

They go nuts for it when the block hits the water the clownfish steel the entire ball and the bloodworms spread everywhere!!! THe pb is always the fastes and snatches the floating worms before the even have a time to defrost!!! I just fed it once in my previous tank because I always fed it to my freshwater tanks so I researched to see if I could feed it to marines and it sed meaty foods for some fish so I tried it... I've been feeding for 8 moths now and they still love it...

Like the nori plan sounds like a cooking show!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2009
  13. Andreas

Andreas

I decided to try blood worms to get my tellow tangs to start feeding and all the fish go absolutely nuts. They love blood worms more than anything I have ever given them:pDo you perhaps have an article where blood worms/marines have been discussed?

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ya I read it on some web page will go see if I can find it again...

15. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Couldn.t find the original text but found a similar one:lol:.
    Resolved Question

Show me another
    Feeding frozen bloodworms to saltwater fish?

I accidently bought a package of frozen bloodworms that says FRESHWATER on the package.........can I still feed these to my saltwater fish?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Yes you can use them, but feed them something else with them.
    They are perfectly safe for salt water fish.
    Source(s)

15 Years Reef Keeping

Other Answers (5)
    by darrel W
    if i were u id go another route. bloodworms are not a typical part of a saltwater fish's diet. theyre something i would feed to my south american cichlids. san francisco brand, by sallys, has plenty of saltwater frozen foods u can give ur fish. nd!

I dont think it would be a problem. I feed them to my brackish fish, and my vet feeds his marine fish bloodworms all the time.

by Erin
    No, bloodworms are not what saltwater fis eat... at least not freshwater bloodworms. You need to buy the propper food for your animals.
    by Billy
    Yes you can!
    by ryan
    yes u can u can also feed them plankton as i do to mine.

I took the awnser of the guy with 15 years of reefkeeping and the vet (they semt the most reliable):yeahdude:

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup children love sweets. The big ? Is it good for them? And do fish like tangs that are "herbivores" benefit from the high protein of bloodworm's? Not sure i can buy that one.

17. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah tangs should stick with veggies, but i think that the occasional bit of say mysis or somethin to try and help them get some elements they might not get in our tanks could help? but is that the right source for them? and how do you stop them eating it so the other fish can, when it doesn't do harm? just a thought to ponder

18. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's a really strange topic some would say it's good and other see it as bad... But isn't it always that way with marines:razz:. The bloodworms I feed are not primarily for the tang. I feed it for my clowns and damsels and wrasse. The tang just eats with them but he goes nuts if I feed it and I haven't seen any defects yet...

19. coral diver

coral diver

A word of advice everytime anyone add a new fish and there is a dominant one that's already in the tank, AQUASCAPE for all fish specially the dominant one to start a new territorial space, Its normal to any living things specially animal to bully anyone new to its territory.

now in the case of the tomini tang its an infection ask your LFS what they got for eye infection.

20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks I'll do so the weird thing is that my tomini is like dubble the pb's size but the pb bullied him luckily the tomini (when settled) showed who's boss... Weird thing is my cleaner wrasse scares the living daylight out of the tomini

21. IMarine

IMarine

hi

excellent info

Recent Posts