tomato clownfish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bilqis, 18 Oct 2013.

1. Bilqis

Bilqis

Hey anyone have any idea how I could stop my tomato clownfish from attacking my two smaller clownfish or should i just get rid of him? :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wesd

Wesd

chances are it will not stop what spp are the other two clowns and how big is the tank they're in?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How big is the tank?

He will not stop, unless its a 1.8 or linger tank and the others can get away from him.

5. Handy

Handy

They are buggers, mine never stopped even in a 3m tank

6. pkc

pkc

Tomatoe clowns will pick on quite a few of other reef species as well and not just clown fish, which makes them useless and plain nasty and they get really dark and daggy looking at very large usually.
    Make up your mind who you want to stay and get rid of the ones or one you do not want because a Melanopus-tomatoe clown will let you down in so many ways later on as well, its a shame they are an extremely hardy amphiprion and do very well with out the life in there that they would normally pick on.

Here is something many will detest!
    If its hard to catch out with out moving live rock or what ever-
    What could be done is ever so gently hold a length of timber dowel with a large needle in the end of it over the tomatoe clown and push down quickly!
    I have done this many years ago to save upsetting a delicate reef tank, but it’s far easier to use just very fine fishing line and tiny hook to catch it out and no harm done.

This is one of many I see but I will not bring the nasty dam things home.
    Yeh I know it looks so cute, but if you look very close at those teeth and combine it with a nasty nature, forget it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Oct 2013
  7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yip, these guys are nasty. I personally would try get rid of the tomatoe, if someone will buy it. Like @Handy said, even in large aqauria they are still nasty. It's a pity they are still brought into the trade, they should be left in the ocean.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts