Urgent help needed Tomato Clown attacking Powder Blue Tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Nico Kortenbout, 16 Aug 2010.

1. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hi all

I have a realtively new Powder Blue Tang. I got it about 3 weeks ago. I have had a large Tomato Clown for some months now. When I first introduced the Tang, the Clown took a bite out his tail, but I added food to distract him and all seemed well from then till 2 nights ago. I came home to find a large bite mark in the side of the Tang. I kept an eye on things and sure enough it was the Tomato Clown again. He is harrassing the Tang fairly regularly and I am worried he might kill it. It does not seem to bother the other fish (Yellow tail damsel, and coral beauty) or any of the shrimps or hermit crabs. Is there something I can do to stop the Clown attacking the Tang, or should I just get rid of the Tomato Clown and substitute for 2 smaller orange clowns? I have tried new aquascaping to see if it is a territorial thing.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

Nico, tomato clowns can be very territorial and get very aggresive. Personally i would say that its unlikley he will leave the PB alone and if you wish to add other dish in future you are likley to have issues with him again.

personally i would catch him and place him in the sump as soon as possible as that PB is likley to stress and get white spot, and then I would suggest getting rid of the tomato clown.

Nico Kortenbout likes this.
  4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

sump the clown asap, if not then the PB will almost definately get white spot and die, the white spot could also nail your other fish !

i would leave the tomato in the sump for at least 2 weeks and try re-introduce him if you still want him, or sell him and put in two smaller clowns

Nico Kortenbout likes this.
  5. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will sump that clown as soon as I get home tonight. Appreciate your help.

Recent Posts