Tobes's shallow 1.2 reef tank

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I just got my new setup, I'm so excited. It's a 1200Lx600Wx400H and the sump is 1000Lx400Wx400H.
Return pump is a Rio 2700lph
2 x Seio M1100 for flow (for now)
TS2 Skimmer

Still looking at different lights, don't need a MH because tank is not too deep, thinking of T5's.
Here are pics of my new project

464499e64dba7567.jpg

DSC01841.jpg

:wave2:

Last edited:
Nice , looking good. Have been thinking about building a similar sized tank . what is the thickness of your glass?

Nice , looking good. Have been thinking about building a similar sized tank . what is the thickness of your glass?

Glass is 6mm with eurobracing top and bottom. According to the glass calculator on this depth (water level 350mm) I get a safety factor of 6.9 :thumbup:

Awsome Tobes! T5's will be wicked over the tank. What you planning on keeping in this setup dude?

Will be softies and LPS, would love to have a few hundred rics in there :p
Maybe a clam one day :)

This size tank is perfect for me, not too big and not too small, can work easy in it and don't have to donate a lung and half my liver for the lights ;)

Will ask for a fish shopping list from all you guys, what you suggest for this size tank. A nice selection of beautiful coral friendly fish - must include an angel, a tang if possible (bristle tooth), butterfly, a wrasse or 3, blenny, a goby and a clown.

NO DAMSELS :nono: - they're evil :whistling:

Glass is 6mm with eurobracing top and bottom. According to the glass calculator on this depth (water level 350mm) I get a safety factor of 6.9 :thumbup:
i know this is a bit off topic....but how high do you think u could go on 6mm with eurobracing and still be quite safe ?

Will be softies and LPS, would love to have a few hundred rics in there :p
Maybe a clam one day :)

This size tank is perfect for me, not too big and not too small, can work easy in it and don't have to donate a lung and half my liver for the lights ;)

Will ask for a fish shopping list from all you guys, what you suggest for this size tank. A nice selection of beautiful coral friendly fish - must include an angel, a tang if possible (bristle tooth), butterfly, a wrasse or 3, blenny, a goby and a clown.

NO DAMSELS :nono: - they're evil :whistling:
could possibly donate one when your tank is ready:) i'm wanting to go yellow tang and possibly another in my tank and 4 in a four foot tank will be excessive but i could get away with three, tank looks like its going to be awesome. I have t5s in my tank, four currently, 2X10000Ks and 2X12000Ks, going to be adding two more soon. And for the depth of your tank it will be perfect, i thought they werent so strong but seeing the bleaching of one of my corals that happened i have a new respect for them:whistling:

great to see a new tank comming tobes:) really exciting. where are u btw, did you move from the sleepy hollow or still there?

nice fish list too and nice tank dimensions. a little shallow for my personal liking but you'll have great light options:)

really good to see u back in the game

i know this is a bit off topic....but how high do you think u could go on 6mm with eurobracing and still be quite safe ?

Use the glass calculator - it's an Excel sheet, so you can play with it. Just type in your values and it will give you the recommended glass thickness and the safety factor. It's on the home page :)

great to see a new tank comming tobes:) really exciting. where are u btw, did you move from the sleepy hollow or still there?

nice fish list too and nice tank dimensions. a little shallow for my personal liking but you'll have great light options:)

really good to see u back in the game

Still in Pietermaritzburg, decided not to move. The tank was actually made to keep clams, I got it for a good price - couldn't refuse :p
Would've loved for it to be 500 high, but it's not so bad, I'll get over it ;)

Hello Tobes,hope you are well.Nice to see you back in the hobby.Looking forward to seeing this baby running.

could possibly donate one when your tank is ready:) i'm wanting to go yellow tang and possibly another in my tank and 4 in a four foot tank will be excessive but i could get away with three, tank looks like its going to be awesome. I have t5s in my tank, four currently, 2X10000Ks and 2X12000Ks, going to be adding two more soon. And for the depth of your tank it will be perfect, i thought they werent so strong but seeing the bleaching of one of my corals that happened i have a new respect for them:whistling:

Thanks man, very generous of you, we'll talk that time ;)

Hello Tobes,hope you are well.Nice to see you back in the hobby.Looking forward to seeing this baby running.

I'm well, thanks man - I never left Masa, just didn't have a tank for 3 months :p

A very small update :p

DSC01843.jpg

Last edited:

Nah, was a lucky guess, could've been brandy as well :razz:

But all credit to you for "knowing" :yeahdude:

Back
Top Bottom