To use Uv filter or not

Reaction score
I recently purchased a tank and it came with a uv filter

Is it a good idea to use it or better to leave it out completely?
Or use it at certain times or periods ?

Thank you

Best sell it to someone that understands how to use it and will get the benefit from it.

Sorry if that is harsh.

Last edited:
:m106:

Thanks for the helpful post
So much for asking to learn

When running the tropical tank I was taught not to run a uv filter and rely on bacteria in the system to keep things clean as the uv filter kills off bacteria
Asking if this would be the same case for a marine tank as I am new to the saltwater aquarium so I know if I should accommodate for it or not in building a better sump design

But thanks for the positive feed back

Last edited:
UV is beneficial, only if implemented correctly with the correct flow dynamics and without any DT water recirculation within the UV setup. UV does not kill any bacteria that is living on your rock or surfaces of your tank and most and not all are killed by a UV system. You will need the correct globes and the contact time is very important along with the spacing between the globe and the UV wall. One should also have a quartz sleeve surrounding the globe.
Sadly most UV systems are not really beneficial.
I personally use a TMC type of UV system that has 4x55W globes that run through a closed loop with a pump that circulates the water at 5000l/hour. I have never HAD any WS or parasite that has a free living stage, and I have introduced fish like a powder blue and various angels, without quarantine.
Connect it up, it wont hurt.

Last edited:
UV is beneficial, only if implemented correctly with the correct flow dynamics and without any DT water recirculation within the UV setup. UV does not kill any bacteria that is living on your rock or surfaces of your tank and most and not all are killed by a UV system. You will need the correct globes and the contact time is very important along with the spacing between the globe and the UV wall. One should also have a quartz sleeve surrounding the globe.
Sadly most UV systems are not really beneficial.
I personally use a TMC type of UV system that has 4x55W globes that run through a closed loop with a pump that circulates the water at 5000l/hour. I have never HAD any WS or parasite that has a free living stage, and I have introduced fish like a powder blue and various angels, without quarantine.
Connect it up, it wont hurt.

Thanks alot... I really really appreciate that information...

UV will only kill what goes trough it, so bacteria in your sandbed, live rock, glass or any surface will not be affected. Only some of the bacteria that is floating round in the water column and maybe one or 2 lost pods

UV is tricky though cause its all about flow rates and efficiencies. So if you were using it say to help kill WS theronts you would have to adjust it if you were just running for general purposes. UV on its own wont get of white spot but is a very nice addon if your batteling WS esp if its in a quarantine tank

Just check if its the right size UV system for your size tank. Then i would suggest pack it away for now since it came with the tank that you have already paid for. And once youve got your tank up and running and get a better understanding of marines then research more info into UV. I know there are quite a few threads on it here on MASA just do a simple search and you will find a wealth of info. Then you can make an informed decision on what to do with the unit

Personally i would love one for my quarantine tank

There are a lot of UV steralizers on the market that are a waist of time. They are not nearly strong enough to kill anything.

A strength of 33000 microwatt's/sec/sq.cm is required to kill most pathogens for marine and fresh water tanks. A good UV steralizer design should give you the optimal flow rate through the steralizer to achieve this.

What make is your steralizer? If you don't know post some pictures of it and the globe and also if it has a Quartz sleeve or not.

If it is not a good one I would not bother using it as all it is going to do is consume electricity and some are prone to leak at the end of the globe causing dangerous electrical shorts and fires.

Good makes are the TMC, Ruwel and coralife. These Steralizers use good quality globes and have decent seals on the globes and quarts sleeves.

The Ruwel is the most efficient unit but is also one of the most expensive. Reason being is that the globe is made out of quarts where as the others are made out of a special glass.

If you UV is one of those blue ultra zap ones. Throw it away. They are extreamly dangerous. I was in big trouble once because the leak onto the globe end nearly killed a little 4 year girl by electrocution. Please don't use them.

Do you know how old the globe is?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom