To the Masters of this forum/hobby

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Spearo, 2 Mar 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spearo

Spearo

Hi MASA members

The reason why i am posting this is totally for the love of this hobby/forum and is not directed at anyone specifically.
    If i get gunned down for this, then what i am posting gets confirmed.

To the masters,

I have been browsing this forum since last year and have only just started posting comments.
    The reason why new members do not wish to post - is because the masters sometimes take no courtesy on the newbies and unleash all their wrath against new members.

Sure you know this hobby and can call it your second wife, as a newbie all i would like to see is decent posts, not blunt - harsh posts.

If you disagree, please feel free to ban me from this forum and remove this thread.
    I am only bringing this to light, as it's scaring away members new and old.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. red deacon

red deacon

@Spearo I presume this is in response to your post regarding catching fish and the posting of @Nemo's Janitor in his reply? Whilst I dont want to get caught in the middle, perhaps two wrongs do not make a right. I agree with what he says, albeit a tad harsh. I also understand why you would feel aggrieved reading his response. Tough one. Withdrawing from debate because of what one persons response was is not the answer though.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Spearo

Spearo Thread Starter

@red deacon

I did think the readers of this would go through my previous posts, as that is the obvious thing to do.
    No i am not angry,

On the contrary i myself take note and learn from these master and i humbly appreciate their responses no matter how rude or blunt they are.

Not all new/browsing members will be as easy going as me and will simply remain as they are within this forum and probably eventually leave this hobby.

5. Rookie

Rookie

I have raised this point before. I fully agree with you. Some responses definately discourage members from posting.

However, I read your post this morning and read NJ's reply and honestly, it is my opinion that he was just stressing the fact that you are responsible for doing as much research as you can before removing anything from the ocean.

I have found most guys here are very eager to jump in and help. Just the odd response here and there that can be discouraging.

6. Spearo

Spearo Thread Starter

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

With a keyboard as communication device, it is not easy to give emotions or true tone of voice through to what you are trying to say.

I rather think why somebody would waste 5 minutes of their lives to type some response to you. They get nothing out of it. No money. Maybe some imaginary internet points.

Did see NJ comment. And although it can and does come over as harsh, I do understand his reason for posting that. I got called out as well yesterday by NJ, but when I thought about is a bit more, I realized that he is really trying hard to get some discussion going on that topic. And I did not feel offended at all after I realized that its actually me jumping on my high horse.

There are so much to learn. With a lot of other older guys who stopped visiting forums for whatever reasons. Or got out of this hobby, or simply do not have time anymore. Or their initial buzz with this new hobby is over. A lot of good knowledge is lost and that is a real pity.

New guys always enters this hobby and forum, learn a lot (hopefully) and they will eventually become the masters. Been on this forum long enough to see this happening over and over. Wished that the old master would hang around to become master Yoda's. Imagine the pool of knowledge that would then float around here.

Overall, we do not allow members personally attacking other members. Unlike some other forums (hobby and work related) where a guy gets taken apart for asking a stupid question. Especially on some of the IT technical forums.

Breado, red deacon, Spearo and 3 others like this.
  8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree with you, 50/50 :p

Yes some members can come across as being rather blunt and to the point, but generally they are just trying to help and offer advice in their own way. I had a look at the offending post in question, and while what he says is right, I do agree that it could have been worded a bit differently in order to not come across as being so harsh or blunt as you put it. I can see how you would have been offended by it.

Don't let it get you down and discourage you from posting. You can either take their posts to heart and let it bother you, or you can read it, ignore it and move on. It's the way of the internet unfortunately, look at Facebook, it's absolutely riddled with trolls and stalkers and opinionated douchebags, lol. Thankfully we don't have any of that on the forum, just some users that are passionate about certain things and like to see things done properly. You just gotta live with it, however, if someone is being rude to you or harassing you, simply report the post and we will take action if need be. We have no qualms in removing rude people from the forum.

We like the forum to be a happy place, so if something or someone is bothering you, report the post, we can't be reading every single post on the forum, it's nigh impossible, reporting it helps us to sort it out. :)

Spearo and tekkengal like this.
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

[​IMG]

Saw this pic a couple of months ago, spend last 10 minutes looking for it.

Spearo likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and I want that shirt, in XL

KeeganP likes this.
  11. KeeganP

KeeganP

LOL I know which IT forum you're talking about :lol:

But, yeah as mentioned the internet is full of people that can come across as harsh,

Don't let it get to you, it's just that also many of the "masters" have seen it happen way too many times.

So they try and stress the point across, not attacking you personally, just stressing the point.

That will also encourage other newbie's to learn as well...

Anyway this is also probably a learning experience for you as well :thumbup:

Spearo likes this.
  12. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Having guys tell you how it is, is sometimes part of the forum experience. accept it as a challenge to get to know all the facts. and it you must ask questions. I remember some heavy debates in the past about to many tangs in a tank or even whats the use or water changes.

If you feel someone is offending, targeting or insulting you, ues the report post triangle next to the thanks button in every post, and we can look into it for you.

Spearo likes this.
  13. Spearo

Spearo Thread Starter

@RiaanP

thanks for the reply,
    you are 100% correct as always,
    my intention is not to attach any member here, although it may now seem that is what's happening with the additional posts.
    my initial thread is what i was expressing ('master' meaning any member who deems themselves this)
    and bringing forward to attention.
    As mentioned, i agree,
    This type of communication device makes it very difficult to interpret each others tone/emotion

14. zippy

zippy

there are no stupid questions on this forum, I have the option to either reply, not reply, or bash

It's a personal choice and when you read from whence it came please take it from the same source as either a waste of time or something to learn from. I learn a lot from the comments posted here on MASA some of the things I learn are based on how to reply to a post in general and how not to reply to a post regardless of it's content.

Spearo and butcherman like this.
  15. Spearo

Spearo Thread Starter

@viper357
    @RiaanP
    @Keeganp

Thanks gents,
    I do not care personally about harsh/blunt comments.
    I would actually want more of them if it means i can learn more.

My only intention here is to talk for the newbies - asking for less harsh tone.
    But as always you guys are helping with this thread and explaining why posts may come across as such.

Create a 'donate' button.
    It's time you guys get paid, so i can give you more work like this lol :)

KeeganP likes this.
  16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i help where i can, even a few series of articles, i think one is called read this first etc
    many of the answers people are looking for are here, but in the age of instant gratification we dont really search...

its a process

Breado and Spearo like this.
  17. NO3

NO3

@Spearo lol lots of guys will shout their mouth off and tell u this and that but if you have a look at their tanks they more than likely "redoing it" or its a softies only tank! Dont believe everything you read from the "gurus", and that facebook post is a perfect example of why!

Express Reef and Spearo like this.
  18. Norries

Norries

@Spearo, advice on any forum or platform should be seen in the light of an example my father thought me years ago: Advice received is liking eating chicken, you eat the flesh and spit out the bones.

19. Spearo

Spearo Thread Starter

20. the fish

the fish

if i remember correctly, this was a topic of discussion at a reef meet once. biggest problem was and still is that we do not see the new guys at reef meets. reason.. the wiser ones sometimes come across as pushy. Trying to force their ways of doing things own your throat (reason is they have learned the hard way them selves and is actually trying to help you in the right direction). i have a lovely word for people like those but i will rather not use it lol. but anyway. i went to my first meet to greet some of the ones i thought were very pushy and a bunch of know it all peeps, and actually had a brilliant time. learned a lot. like Riaan said in his post, it is very hard to show emotion over the interwebs, so always take what ever the pushy people say with a 25kg bucket of salt (teaspoon is not always enough). and when someone attacks you (you will notice that within a split second, it is always a threat), just say lol as that will annoy them the most, because being a keyboard ninja is something a 12 year old will do.
    anyway, don't stress and just laugh it off.

21. Keegan1

Keegan1

From now on the "masters" must braai and pour the drinks for the beginners at all the reef meets starting at the one on Saturday in Cape Town lol

SanetS likes this.
Recent Posts