To suck or not to suck

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OK, I know you don't disturb a DSB. What about a 1-2 inch sand bed in your DT? Some say you should vacuum it and some say don't. I vacuum mine sometimes and a lot of shit comes out, but you also suck up pods and other living things which is not good. What's your guys feel on this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I let my Sleeper Goby and Nassarius Snails clean up my substrate, haven't ever tried the vacuum, scared I will remove too much fishfood, especially my Copperband and 6-Line's food.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
As above, get some nassurius snails to stir it up, much more natural then.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Should I rather stir it occasionaly or vacuum? I usually vacuum every other water change.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Should I rather stir it occasionaly or vacuum? I usually vacuum every other water change.
As long as you have a healthy bristleworm and cuc population i don't think there is a need to stir it, if that much crap is settling in your susbtrate then i would suggest moving powerheads around to keep it in the water column so it can be skimmed.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have a DSB in my Display Tank. I "stir up" (rake) the top +-0.5cm to 1cm of my DSB - I then "feed" my corals this way. I do not vacuum my sand bed at all..... The muck that comes out contains larvae, detritus, spores, tiny worms, phytoplankton, zoo-plankton and bacteria - which all acts as food for my corals, my filter feeders, my clams, etc...... And this muck also helps my 2nd (in-sump DSB) to be "fed" :)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, will not vacuum it again - I'll leave the sucking to someone else :whistling:

Reaction score
Have read somewhere that it is a good idea to create a "Hurricane" in the tank every now and again. So about every 2nd month I tank a seio mounted on a pipe and blow around the rocks.
Or like in my tank have one of my Seio suction mounts give way, and hurricane time :whistling:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Have read somewhere that it is a good idea to create a "Hurricane" in the tank every now and again. So about every 2nd month I tank a seio mounted on a pipe and blow around the rocks.
Yep, redirecting a powerhead is like a turbocharged turkey baster:)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
and the idea of pumping air in to the power head to make a temory BIG skimmer type thing?
Is a rather bad one:lol: sorry Crispy, all you will do is fill your tank full of bubbles which could hurt the fish/corals.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have two clams in my tank, and my 2 x ReSun Wave-makers does this in any case - it sucks air every now and again, and blows gazillions of tiny tiny bubbles into my tank, making my tank look milky white. I have my one clams now for over a year, and the other for at least 3 months. Seemingly no issues with my 2 clams....