To RO or not to RO? That is the question...

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Brian83, 8 Sep 2012.

1. Brian83

Brian83

Hi all,

My question is relatively simple. RO units are generally quite expensive - especially when you take into consideration that the pure you gain is far out-weighed by the waste water produced by an RO unit.

However, I can understand how the idea that they will pay for themselves in a matter of time can sway people's opinions. The real question I wish to pose is this: can one get away with non-ROed water, even if it's for a few months, until I can buy an RO unit?

Also, I'm a conservationist at heart and feel that the waste water produced from RO units is far too high for the amount of pure water you gain from it. It doesn't seem like you'll be "saving" all that much with an RO unit. Is there any other way to purify water (except by distilling it) to make it, at least, OKAY for a marine setup? Can't one run water through multiple layers of filtration such a sponge, cotton, sand, GAC, stones, or anything else to achieve a similar result? I realise the result might not be perfect, but at least you can get rid of some of the metals and other crap in our water supplies.

Please advise.

Ta!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

There's no need to "waste" the waste water. Use it to water the garden, top up water features etc.

4. NJH

NJH

Just buy it from your lfs. Around R1.50 per litre.

5. Dillan

Dillan

Ro is the only way , just my 2c worth use waste for the dogs garden ect

6. seahunter

seahunter

What about a distillizer/deironizer guys? Unit uses mixed-bed resin and gives a conductivity of '0' with on waste water.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Sounds interesting. I've got ro unit tho

8. seahunter

seahunter

@mandarinman , I also prefer the RO system as its way cheaper than the distillizer , my distillizer takes about 6 litres of resin @ R62 per/litre = R372 . I get around 1200 litres till the resin is exhausted. First 600litres at '0'ppm and the other 600litres at 5ppm. I dont go over 5ppm. So the RO system is way better I think . Just my 1c

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Brian83

Brian83 Thread Starter

Constructive advice... I like it. :thumbup:

Can it work though?

10. Brian83

Brian83 Thread Starter

I appreciate all the jibber-jabber about conservation guys, but that's a lengthy discussion that's best done somewhere else - perhaps with a beer in hand. But the topic is about purifying water differently. I need constructive advice and so far only two people have provided something useful for me.

From what I've gotten so far, I now know that De-ironizers and Distillers might be a possible, but not necessarily a viable, option because they are expensive in the long run. Perhaps an RO unit is the best and only way. And if thousands of people around the world are doing then sobeit. I'd like to look at other options thought. We live in a world where we grow baby foreskins for skin grafts, yet we can't think of a less-wasteful way to purify water. That's hard to believe.

11. seahunter

seahunter

Guys please , be nice to new comers , Brian83 donating for local conservation (that counts alot) and not to the over-sea conservation (if any) which their reefs as a relatively good growth rate. Theres no growth on our reefs

12. Muz

Muz

That made no sence at all

Go with an R/O unit Brian, the reason why we all use them is because they work. You can catch rain water but honestly you are looking for something which is convienant and easy to use. The R/O unit is easy, compact and cheap to run. The filters last years. No need to reinvent the wheel

13. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Apologies for those rude members Brian, the offending posts have been removed.

15. NJH

NJH

@ Singularity, your sarcasm was uncalled for. Someone is asking for advice, if you can not contribute positively rather do not make any comment.

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

I'm not sure what the output of an ro unit is before you need to change filters

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I personally change mine every year, but I have heard you can get away with it every 18 months. You'll need a TDS pen to test the RO water. Also, you can add a further RO membrane that filters the waste water again, which then transllates to less water wastage, and more output, but this membrane would have to be changed a little more often. You will also need quite high water pressure and the cost will be higher too.

You questions have got me thinking though, good work on waking me up!:1:

18. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@Brian83

I was in the same position as you when I started the hobby, I didn't like the fact of "wasting" water and didn't like the ratio of ro to "waste " water.

I chatted to macro (the Waterboy) he sorted me out with an ro unit, but custom built it with extra stages, to increase the ratio so I got less " waste" and more ro.

Give him a call, super helpful and great service

Brian83 likes this.
  19. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

hello brian, thanks for the pm,
    sorry for the late reply, but i was up in the berg with no connectivity to the world:thumbup:

lol

yes we have a method to increase production and decrease waste, as explained by dean t.......which ill explain to you in detail over the phone, i also do have a really good demo unit available for you.

there are ways to increase production of r.o, and drastically reduce waste through new advanced nano filtration methods used in conjuction with r.o.

i will be flying to ningbo to finalise layout and design of a new unit that will do this, however these methods are expensive so the end user will need to weigh up the opton of using waste water or paying upfront in order to conserve......

some people let rain water run down the drain....other buy storage tanks, pumps, etc etc and use the rain water in there gardens to save........
    they saving water, but using alot of money and electricity in order to be green.....
    kind of the direction the world is going i guess

Last edited: 9 Sep 2012
Recent Posts