To overflow or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bullet, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Bullet

Bullet

Hi Guys.

New to marine world.

Do you need the overflow chamber or is it better to drill a whole in the bottom of the glass for your overflow pipe to go through? I am thinking maybe a Durso pipe?

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome bullet, the overflows function is to skim the surface of the water and allow remixing of any seperated pollutants so that they can be skimmed out by a protein slimmer.. if you use just a pipe you greatly reduce the amount of surface water being surface skimmed..

i would suggest you use a box of somesort..

there is a thread on here with various overflow designs which im sure one of them will be able to be adapted to your system

4. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

welcometomasa

5. Bullet

Bullet Thread Starter

Thanks Leslie

So i am assuming that building a bigger sump is not going to sort that problem out for me ?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Bullet, and let me add: WELCOME to MASA and to this great hobby.

I fully agree with Leslie - surface skimming is much better than just using a drain pipe. The main reason for this is that most (all...) proteins and fats (i.e. "dissolved" organic compounds) are long-chained molecules, and these are mostly concentrated at the air/water interface (i.e. the water surface) because of their "bipolar" electrical charges. Skimming the water surface thus removes much more organic "proteins" from the system than would be the case if the water was drained from deeper down in the tank. Increasing the surface skimming area thus increases the potential for removing these unwanted "pollutants".

Skimming the water surface does also, of course, lead to better gas exchange with the water, improving the dissolved oxygen content of the water (all else being equal...)

If you make your "weir" type overflow box large enough, you can still run a Durso downpipe from this box, thus still obtaining the noise reduction advantage of the Durso - my own tank has been set up like this.

Hennie

8. Bullet

Bullet Thread Starter

Thanks Hennie and Tobes.

I must say the schematics and info sent on why you need to skim the water makes better sence now.

Alright I am busy planning and building my tank and would like to know what is the best why to calculate (if you can) the size of the overflow?

I am a bit of neat freak and a perfectionist so I would like it to be compact but still effective.

Thanks again for all the help. :thumbup:

(p.s my tank size is going to be as follow)

1200mm x 500mm x 500mm x 7mm

9. Boegie

Boegie

Very welcome.

Recent Posts