To Move Or Not To Move

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Looks like i will be moving from JHB to EL soon, the question is if i should move all my live stock or to start again. I havent got enough equipment to get a tank running there already and i dont realy want to suffer casualties.

So i might have too sell all live stock and start again down there once tank is moved and set up again.

Unless i can find a boarding school for fish or something in the interum.

Suggestions are welcome.

The thing about moving such long distances is the time it takes. You can do it by bagging the fish and corals properly with oxygen etc and take all your water with. Or at least 50-70% of your water and add fresh sea water when you get there - like a biggish water change :p. It's not advised to mix synthetic water at your new destination and add it immediately, it needs to mature a day or so to make sure the temp and salinity is the same as your other water. If I were you, I'd take the live rock and whatever water I can and set up that side again. Advantage is you won't loose anything and you don't need to wait another cycle, just a week or so to let the tank settle and you can stock again ;)

Good luck :thumbup:

Hi Rowan coming to slummies hey.. welcome you will love it here totally not JHb but cozy and liveable none the less.... if i can assist let me know... but moving livestock is always dicey... if you have one or 2 fish that are your favourites and are rare i would take a chance with them but limit your potential losses as much as possible.. if you could send the tank perhaps i can assist with setting it up this side depending on if im here at the time.. if you want i will pm you my cell.. give us a pic of your system before you pull it down.. chow les

Hey Rowan, welcome to slummies. if theres any advice i can give you is to try hang on to your LR. good quality LR is hard to come by here (you know what i mean les)

I moved a small tank 5 km's and it was hell, I'm with the guys, keep the LR and kit and start up again.

Haven't you ever said......." Next time round I would change this and I would change that.....".

I would start again, go bigger and better, with a better planned system. I am not saying that you do not already have a great system........but I am sure there are things that you would like to change.

guys the problem is the availability of livestock and the LR.. there is no kenyan in this town other than 2kg and malaysian is R185pkg and most rock is bought over the net and shipped (at extra expense) anyway..

I only have Kenyan and about 50/60kg of it so i guess i can keep it.

I have a six foot tank that needs to be resiliconed, so if i can get that done i guess i could fill it down there and then bring live rock down.

I come from Slummies born and bred so i have an idea of what its about.

When I moved from Kimberley to Pietermaritzburg , I took all my live rock with me in polyesterene boxes filled half with water - 9hr trip + packing the LR hrs before and back in tank hrs after - The same boxes the LFS's get their live stock in when being imported. On arival, I put the LR in the tank with the water I had and put a flow pump in just to erate the water ( 6 foot tank was about half). I mixed new salt water and let it mature 24hrs, then added it in. You should've seen the life in and on the rocks that survived - even green star polyps and millions of pods ;)
You can do this and then add in fresh sea water when you get there - will be even better :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom