To DSB or not to DSB - That is the question

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Jhavenga, 10 Sep 2010.

1. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

I'm busy setting up my tank. At the moment I have decided on a DSB for my sump. Will be approx 25cm long x 30cm wide x 17cm deep.

My question is: Should I have a DSB (10cm) in my display tank (120cm(l)x45cm(w)x55cm(h) as well? Or should I stick to 2cm playsand as substrate?

I'd appreciate some good advice. Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A sand bed should either be shallow or deep. No in betweens, as there are no real value in anything in between.

Shallow like in 2-3cm, maybe even 5.
    Deep as in 15-17cm, deeper got no value.

"medium" at around 8-12cm only provide the same value as a shallow. Only the aerobic bacteria are doing anything good. You need the depth of 15-17 to get the anaerobic batceria into the playground.

Another problem with in display DSB, is that they take up 150mm of the bottom of your tank, thereby removing valueble viewing space. Especially on shallow tanks, anything less than 600mm. That is my opinion. My big tank, is deep, at 750mm, so yes, there I will one day use a in display DSB. (well at the moment that is my plan).

Other thing to keep in mind is the sand storms. You will shift sand if the powerheads creates too much flow. And the shallower the tank, the bigger this problem.

Last thing, all that sand in the display is some serious extra weight to the system. If you do have a cabinet that is made out of presswood. Make double sure that is can handle all that extra weight on top. Setup will become top heavy. On my tank, that will be an extra 200 to 250kg. Maybe more? Can your stand or cabinet handle that?

4. Tony

Tony

I dont run a DSB but I have a lot of LR and use zeolites and probiotics

5. Trev

Trev

To be perfectly honest there are so many new products on the market which we were previously not exposed to, that do an amazing job of reducing nutrients and they begging working immediately. One might think these products are very expensive but when you consider the concentration of them you will realize that infact you could be spreading that cost over a year or even 2 year usage period depending on the size of your system. That said the DSB is a more natural way of doing the same job and most would argue that the more natural the better, personally I am on the fence with regards to this debate.

Trev

6. magman

magman

I am breaking down my dsb when we move, just going LR in the sump. IMO, you can do much more with the space a DSB takes in the sump.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Original question is about the merits of an "IN DISPLAY DSB".
    Already have a sump DSB

As other replies already point to other filtration options that replaces or can be used instead of a DSB as primary filtration method, here is my opinion:

On DSB in general. It is a lot easier, simpler, "failsafe", cheaper, (enter more words here) for a newbie to run a DSB compared to other "advanced" options like zeolites and probiotics, vodka dosing, NP pelets, nitrate reactors.... (enter other options here)

8. Trev

Trev

100% agree with you on that Mr P

9. Jhavenga

Jhavenga Thread Starter

Thanks guys. RiaanP, thanks for your in-detail answer. I have decided to stick with about 2cm of in display sand.

Recent Posts