To convert to marine or not

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by jsx, 22 Nov 2014.

1. jsx

jsx

I am seriously considering moving from a planted to marine tank but thought it best to check in for some advice in case I miss something or should not make the move due to current limitations.

The tank is in my “home office” so noise is a no-no.

What I have:

Juwel Lido 120L tank (its a high not wide tank)
    Hydor Pro 250 Canister filter
    Hydor 200W Heater
    100ml Purigen
    250ml Seachem Stability
    Seachem Prime (Dry)
    100ml Seachem Purigen

What I want to get:

2x 9Kg Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite
    1x Chemi-Pure Elite
    Some Dry Rock
    Seachem Marine Salt Bag
    Juwel Marine Lights
    3000lph wavemaker

What I would rather not get:

Chiller (noise)
    Skimmer (noise)
    Sump (Space issue)

Based on the above, can it work? What could I keep?

Stopped at a LFS to get advice and the guy told me that I shouldn't bother without a proper sump setup but I thought it would be better to get more opinions before giving up.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

There are many ways to run a marine setup. It all boils down to how much money you want to spend and do you want to do fish only o or fish and corals. Obviously is fish and corals going to cost more but the rewards is so much better. I run a 4ft setup without sump. All i have is flow pump, hob skimmer and T5 lights. Works for me and I keep fish and some corals. One can always go bigger and better later on when you know the basics.

4. Dexter

Dexter

Browse the for sale section...you will pick up great bargains. So you dont have to spend a fortune

5. jsx

jsx Thread Starter

Thanks Dexter. I'd like to keep cost down but noisy stuff and space are the biggest issues.

I'd be happy if I could do some fish and inverts.

6. Dexter

Dexter

I must add Im yet to come accross noisy stuff. Havent heard anything noisy yet.

7. jsx

jsx Thread Starter

I have not heard a chiller or skimmer quiet enough. The tank is in my home office so I really don't like noise. Sound of the external canister filter is already pushing it.

8. Dexter

Dexter

You only need a chiller if the temperature of your tank is not stable. I think for your size tank no chiller will be needed. Canister filters are hardly used in marines. Some people use them just to creatr flow but otherwise useless.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

In a way he is right. One of the most important pieces of equipment to help you having a successful marine setup is a skimmer. And you need a spot to put it. The Lido tank as far as I know got a little internal space for filtration that is by far not capable to house a proper skimmer. Plus the sump is a good place to hide heaters.

Overflow design is important. Because you get silent overflows and other supposedly silent overflow designs.

LED lights units, there are two types. The active cooled types with build in fans. And the passive that relies on big heat sinks to cool them down. Active and you get a bit of fan noise. Passive and they are big units above the tank. And then some designs are mostly passive but they also have build in fans. Fans should be about 30dB. That is not a lot, less that a desktop PC fan.

Skimmer air intake might be noisy. But I extended mine to suck in air from outside. That silenced the
    intake a lot.

10. MerlinT

MerlinT

Riaan, please tell us more about this. Does this help reduce the noise. I have a BH1000 HOB which is a little too noisy for my liking. Judged on what I quoted you from one of your posts here; exactly what and how do I do to reduce the amount of noise on my skimmer?
    Thanking you in advance. If you like you can pm me your reply so as to avoid high jacking this thread and people getting angry. Lol!!! I would really like to know how.
    Cheers
    Merlin

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Nov 2014
  11. jsx

jsx Thread Starter

Hijack away.

Seems like I will have to get a skimmer so any sort of noise control advice will be awesome.

12. MerlinT

MerlinT

Okay. Here goes. I run a marine tamk with external cannister filter which is extremely quiet I may add. My pumps are quiet as well and there are three inside my tank. Although I am successfully running my tank with these I find that my skimmer is noisy. This being a vital piece of equipment I just have to accept it. There are more quiet HOB' s out there but have to find them. I was told thst a Reef Octopus was silent but when I purchased one I found it was not. I was at shop on Saturday that was running a Tunze skimmer which was extremely silent but I guess because it sat inside the tank it was silent. Problem with this is that you need a bigger tank because the unit sits inside the tank. Maybe they make a smaller unit, I don't know.
    Hopefully I can get my unit to make much less noise. Fingers crossed, there must be a solution out there somewhere. I guess I just need to wait for the Reef Octopus agents and or suppliers to comment and advise accordingly.
    M

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On an Aquamedic shorty. I added a long piece of flexible hose, that went through the wall into my garage next door. So it suck in the air their. This skimmer had an thinker airline fitted, 15mm. so its sounded like some animal trying to suck one long last breath in, non-stop. Adding the extension and the noise was gone.

This also helps a bit with introducing fresh air into your system. You running an enclosed cabinet, so eventually you will suck in air that came out the skimmer cup 30 minute ago. Overnight the O2 and CO2 balance will slightly shift. OK, cabinet is not sealed airtight. But still, your skimmer is recirculating the same air all the time until you open up the cabinet again. So even just running that airline to just outside the cabinet is a breath of fresh air your skimmer. Unless you got fans build in into the cabinet. Then its not relevant.

14. MerlinT

MerlinT

Morning
    I do not have a sump and my HOB sits in the open hanging on the back of my tank. The noise comes from the motor itself. Like a vibration noise. Air intake is from the open room itself.
    M

15. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Create an air filter to go on the skimmer intake as i have and you wont hear it at all.

weezle likes this.
  16. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Cleans the air going into your tank and reduces the noise.(No Noise)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Just to comment on skimmers. The quietest I have ever owned is the vertex alpha.. you do not even know its on.. yest it packs a hell of a punch..

18. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Packs a heavy price too. :m13:

19. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

@jsx, Not all skimmers are noisy. You can look at the Red Devil skimmers they use the SP3 pumps, also with the extended air silencer - all reefers comment on its extreme quietness.

Just setup another RDC900HOB - This impo is the best HOB skimmer around when it comes to price/performance and noise.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Wizard$

Wizard$

Hi @jsx - if noise is your main priority, then it may be best for you to skip marine tanks. You are trying to convert a "built for tropical system" to marine, so it will be more difficult to reduce noise. If you are serious about marine (it is radically different to tropical fish, from an effort, maintenance, cost perspective), it may be best to sell your current system and look on the forum for a 2nd hand marine setup. Good luck, and you are in the absolute right place to ask for advice;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts