to buy an adult or juvenile emperor angel??

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by 4age, 1 Feb 2013.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys..I'm sure there are threads on this topic,but wanted to know..is it better to buy a juvenile or adult in terms of acclimatisation to aquarium life..how picky are adult angels when it comes to feeding etc?will it be easier to buy a juvenile or an adult..- won't mind buying an adult if they won't be a problem to acclimatise to aquarium.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 4age

4age Thread Starter

Also want to know if emperors collected from different places fare differently in captivity.I can get an emperor from kenya..but willing to wait for one from other region if they will be hardier. Definately don't want fish collected with cyanide

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Juveniles in general settle easier in our aquariums. Medium juveniles (5-7cm) tend to have the highest survival rate.

They will need plenty of hiding place, and also a fairly mature system at least 6 months old.

These fish are (in general) for more experienced hobbyists and they are known to NOT be reef safe and may nip at sps and softies. This can be minimalized by proper feeding...

Can also be aggressive when they mature, especially towards their own species of similar shape, size, and color.

Edit: some people recommend feeding up to 3 times daily, and adults can be VERY fussy eaters, some never settling for flakes.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2013
  5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Actually quite a hardy fish if you get them at the right size. As mentioned above, large juveniles do the best. Kenyan ones should be fine, as long as they're not too skinny.

6. 4age

4age Thread Starter

Ok cool..so today i got my hands on a sub adult emperor..fish was at lfs for last two weeks..so was doing very well...eating alot..had the guy feed it while i was there...its about 12cm size..busy changing to adult colours

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

stunning fish, can be a pain in the backside in terms of eating and pecking coral but beautiful fish to have.

they have an imense amount of character and mine grunted when i came into the room... i would say better to get juvies as they will grow with the system...

and what a magnificent creature to watch as it transforms into its adult colours..

sadly i had to remove mine due to pecking!

good luck...

8. 4age

4age Thread Starter

@leslie hempel..i just put him in quarantine tank and he is already taking flake food..this guy is solid.

I am well aware of their coral munching tendencies..so decided to make my 2m a FOWLR..gona be keeping a selection of fish i always wanted,but could not put with corals..with emphasis on angels and butterflies..what other angels you guys reckon i can mix with him?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Generally the same genus unless your tank is huge. Pomacanthus, Chaetodontoplus and Apolemichthys will usually fight with their own genus. Genicanthus and Centropyge are usually fine together if introduced together or in a big enough system.

10. 4age

4age Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 4age

4age Thread Starter

i would love getting a blue lined angel or asfur....going to have to move and rescape tank everytime i attempt to add one of the above angels i guess

12. crispin

crispin

lovely fatish looking fish, well done i hope he gives u years of joy:)

13. marine101

marine101

Just saw that fish eat flakes! wow! nice fish

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have seen them mixed with most angels, asfur, muculoses, annularis, navarcus, regal, and a host of dwarfs.. can be done but its how and the size of the angels when you do it...

Recent Posts