TM Bio-Calcium causing problems

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Manic, 2 Jun 2009.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey everyone,

So been dosing tropic marine bio-calcium for about three weeks now and everytime I dose it my kH increases. Been trying to find an answer on the net and ask everyone at the LFS but everyone seems to think this is impossible as adding calcium should decrease kH.

Here are my parameters before dosing:

Calcium: 360
    Magnesium: 1250
    kH: 8

After dosing with 7 spoons in a 130L tank which was the recommended dosage the parameters the next day were as follows:

Calcium: 380
    kH: 10

I then dosed 2 spoons to increase it slowly and the next day the kH was 11.

I'm really confused. It says on the box will not increase pH or affect kH. So why then is mine increasing every time I add bio-calcium.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Bio calcium is a very clever product and all I use. You are overusing the product and should not follow the manaufactueres instructions as each system uses calcium at different rates.

You have to calculate your daily consumption by this you have to drop your KH to where you ideally want it let your calcium drop below 400 and your magnesium below 1200. Then add a scoop or two and test your KH the next morning. If its the same you have your dosage correct, however if it's lower than add a little more or a little less if too high. After a few days you will have your comsumption down to a tee. You add the product, your KH goes up and the next morning it's used up by the system. Once you have aced your KH fill in the gaps by adding calcium carbonate to raise your calcium to 420ppm and epsom salts to raise the mag to 1300. After you have got this done you will only test your calcium and magnesium every week and make a top up. Test your alkalinity every two days to keep and eye on your KH and make necessary adjustments

4. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

Alright cool thanks. Everything seems to have stabalised. I add two spoons of bio-calcium a day and the calcium stays at about 400. The only thing is my kH also stays at 11.

5. Tony

Tony

Try not dosing for a day or two to drop your KH to about 8.

6. Manic

Alright I'll try that. I'm doing a water change today which always drops my kH to about 8 anyway. Then I'll try dosing how you suggested. Thanks a lot.

7. NicoH

NicoH

Please note that Tropic Marine bio-calcium is a duel action product. It icreases both calcium as well as KH, not just calcium

8. Tony

Tony

Nico, that's why one has to work it around the KH consumption as calcium and magnesium is used in proportion. If you get your dosage right the the calcium and magnesium will remain the same with a small top up every two weeks. I cant tell you when last I tested my calcium

9. NicoH

NicoH

Agreed, my statement was for Manic's benefit so that he may understand the product. The name is confusing. It is a very good product and good value for money.

10. Tony

Tony

Cool

11. Manic

Alright cool. Thanks guys. I was just under the impression that it only increased calcium and I would have to maintain the kH using a buffer. It makes sense now that the kH increased so drastically.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Tony, I think you mean Calcium Chloride?

13. Tony

Tony

That's the one Mekaeel. My bad

Recent Posts