TL550 chamber contents

Reaction score
Hi all fellow TL550 owners, i just want to make sure my skimmer is placed in the right compartment. I saw that most say it has to be in the 1st chamber (from right to left) where the comb like thingy is , that is where the skimmer should sit. Mine would not fit there ???? And it's the standard skimmer.... currently mine is sitting in the second chamber , 1st chamber i have a sponge and filter material, second the skimmer and then the heater and then the return pump. In this order

1.sponge and filter material
2. skimmer
3. heater
4. return & uv

Is this correct??? My skimmer cup seems to keep overflowing all the time....it just pushes water through, if i lift the skimmer out the water then it works fine ? Any ideas please? And perhaps photo's of how it's suppose to be?

Hi Zandy, that's correct, from right to left, the skimmer fits into the second chamber, I have made a media tray and put Activated carbon, Phosguard and Chemi-pure elite in the first chamber, remove the sponge, with filter floss on top of the media tray.

thank you @Marcd50 , but why is everybody reffering to theirs sitting in chamber one???

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, maybe the older models with the smaller skimmer were like that, mine has a grove cut out of the second chamber partition, where the skimmer outlet fits in

Remove the sponge and use filter floss you replace twice a week. Easier than removing and rinsing the sponge. If you take out the sponge you can add your filer media/heater in the first chamber - I wouldn't put the heater in the 3rd chamber as the water level fluctuates to in that chamber and your heater might be exposed. Rather put it in the 1st chamber.

I have purigen/phosguard, heater and filter floss in my 1st chamber - Media on a diy media tray,
chamber 2 - skimmer
chamber 3 - chaeto with led light and
chamber 4 - 2 return pumps -one for the spray bar and another pumping water back to chamber 1, to increase the flow through my media.

but what works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

Just my 2c.

@charl Stanhope thank you , will swop my heater to the 1st chamber, but still cannot understand why my skimmer just constantly overrun with water...anyway will remove all the media in the back investigate and see if i can trace the problem

@charl Stanhope thank you , will swop my heater to the 1st chamber, but still cannot understand why my skimmer just constantly overrun with water...anyway will remove all the media in the back investigate and see if i can trace the problem

Hi all fellow TL550 owners, i just want to make sure my skimmer is placed in the right compartment. I saw that most say it has to be in the 1st chamber (from right to left) where the comb like thingy is , that is where the skimmer should sit. Mine would not fit there ???? And it's the standard skimmer.... currently mine is sitting in the second chamber , 1st chamber i have a sponge and filter material, second the skimmer and then the heater and then the return pump. In this order

1.sponge and filter material
2. skimmer
3. heater
4. return & uv

Is this correct??? My skimmer cup seems to keep overflowing all the time....it just pushes water through, if i lift the skimmer out the water then it works fine ? Any ideas please? And perhaps photo's of how it's suppose to be?

To answer your skimmer question, raise the skimmer cup as much as possible and then close the valve completely, then open it bit by bit - wait a few minutes, 30 minutes after each adjustment until the skimmer skims drier.

Sorry for double post:blush:
I will do as you said @charl Stanhope , hopefully that will sort the problem out.

Back
Top Bottom