Tl450

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by polyp, 5 Jun 2013.

1. polyp

polyp

Hi There

I recently broke the air pipe on the impeller part of the pump going into my skimmer so its not running optimally. I did look at another skimmer but the modifications involved were just too much. (in terms of time and the fact that i am not real handy)

Be that as it may, what i did find is that to take out the impeller would be a real pain since the power cord comes out of the bottom of the tank, so i need to empty the tank and then disconnect everything from there before even thinking about another skimmer.

does anyone know of another way to overcome this problem.

Also, upon advice from someone, i added a jvp 101 wavemaker, but it seems so strong.
    Currently my tank is a FOWLR, but i want to start introducing coral eventually.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Can you perhaps upload a pic of where the wire comes out? As far as i remember, the wire comes out the top of the chamber??

4. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

Thanks will do tonight, but there is a pump which has wire coming out of the top, then the shaft with the impeller which has a wire coming out the bottom. All i really need to do is replace the shaft thingie, in which case a whole new pump makes sense, doesnt it.

Could this be the uv bulb. Cani it be replaced.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  5. the fish

the fish

problem is that those pumps does not get sold separately. also had the TL450 and i replaced the skimmer with the TL550 skimmer. the round one. fits nicely into the skimmer compartment. so replacing the pump alone will not work. you can either modify another powerhead onto the skimmer inlet and drill a hole into the the point of the powerhead and add the air hose(not recommended) or you can just get the TL550 skimmer

6. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

Please see attached the pics as discussed.
    As you can see I am a bit of a bind with this one. Or am I :lol:

IMG-20130605-00261.jpg

IMG-20130605-00262.jpg

IMG-20130605-00263.jpg

7. the fish

the fish

i can see 2 wires there. one that goes to the what i suppose is the uv? and the other into the first compartment. that is suppose to be the skimmers wire. the one in the bottom i dont know what that is. i didnt have that. have you traced that wire from the power plug all the way to the tank bottom and then from there it goes into the the chambers or something?

8. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

The one wire goes to the UV, while the other one goes to the pump into the skimmer.

Problem I have is that the one from the UV goes into the bottom of the tank, and then I have another one coming out of where chamber 1 is supposed to be, which goes to the power supply with the splitter thingie.

9. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

also please dont look at my scaping, I know it needs work but my left brain doesnt talk to the hands too good.

10. the fish

the fish

mmm i really cant see why that wire would go under there it has no need to be in there. as for the scaping those 2 rocks on thats pressing against the sides should rather be moved will make it easier to clean the glass

11. the fish

the fish

@ccwilke can you remeber a wire going into your TL450 and then coming out again from the bottom on the UV light?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

The only thing I remembered is I took out that awful uv light thats useless.I had to modify a pump to run the skimmer more than once...,,

13. the fish

the fish

this is what i remember too. no cables coming out of the bottom of the tank.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the Sun Sun pump wire being pinched, move it to be with the other wires. In the same indentation.

15. polyp

polyp Thread Starter

Ok so 5 days later I realise what a noob I am. In true noob style it turns out that the wire wasnt coming out of the tank in two new places but rather was STUCK under the tank. Now things seem much easier. Question is, can I buy just the UV, or would you suggest a new pump and UV. In that case can anyone suggest where. I usually buy everything at Sam's Aqauarium so that seems like the most logical place to start unless there is a direct importer for all things Boyu. I also need to replace the clips that hold the hood open as I broke the hinges but I have long since given up that chase.

I also rescaped the tank today and its looking much better.

Pics to follow as soon as the murkiness clears.

Next step, clean up crew.

BTW, did anyone look at my substrate in the pics. I for one have not seen this kind of substrate in any other tank and I wonder if its the best. If I change it then do I need to recycle the tank.

Patience, it would seem is becoming a real virtue that I am learning.

16. ccwilke

ccwilke Majestic Pets Solutions Sponsor

Leave the UV out only get a new pump and get that skimmer up and running...

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a better picture is needed.

18. the fish

the fish

@polyp i agree that a better picture will be needed. but of what i can see it does look like a really course type. if it is it could be a become a bit of a hassle as it will trap detritus and you will have problems with your parameters. so when cleaning with your syphoning pipe make sure to suck out the substrate too

Recent Posts