TL 550 Livestock Plan

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Dre, 10 Mar 2013.

1. Dre

Dre

Morning everyone. I just want to thank you all for the great advice so far. You have been a huge help.

I have my TL550 setup and have begun the cycle. So it gives me some times to plan and decide which livestock to place in the tank.(Standard TL550 setup)

I have been doing some research and found that you should plan what livestock you want and build your tank according to that. I have a few choices in mind but would like advise to see if these are compatible and what would be the best way to create a perfect habitat for them.

Fish

A Pair of clown fish

Def want a pair but I would also like to add some more colourful fish. Which fish would be able to go with these and how many should I limit my tank to?

Coral

Palythoa Polyp
    Zoanthid
    Kenya Trees
    Goiniopora
    Mushroom

I like these coral and I hear they are good for a starter tank. Please advise.

CUC

Hermit Crabs
    Shrimp
    Snails

Still quite confused with these. Can I have a mixture and if so how many and of which kind.

Any advice will really help as I would like to have a stable environment where all the livestock compliment each other and are happy. Thanks :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSlakkie

CyberSlakkie

Dre, I am also new to this hobby!! - I am tagging along for answers..!!

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Local clean up crew options

Can easily house 3 to 4 small yellow tip hermits. They do not grow that big.
    Snails, Nerita snails is nice, about 2 to 3. Also yellow ring cowries. But only add snails once you got enough algae and diatoms growing agains the glass and especially the back panel. Do not clean the back panel. It is free food for your clean up crew.

You can easily house 2 cleaner shrimps.

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi @Dre, glad you got yourself a tank!!! Now the fun starts!!!
    The livestock you chose seems fine except for the goniopora... They are rated for expert only keeping... Or at least you should wait approx 6-8months for your tank to settle & become more stable!
    As for the other corals. They seem fine...
    A good place to learn about different corals & their needs is to have a look at liveaquaria. Imo they are the best general source of livestock info on almost every type of livestock!
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+464&pcatid=464
    Have a look at their beginner coral & fish pages.
    (Just keep in mind that not all their "beginner" livestock can be kept in a tl550, so just make sure you choose the easier corals with medium lighting requirements!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

A couple of other nice &easy corals you can have a look at...
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+599+692&pcatid=692

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+598+872&pcatid=872

Just keep in mind that the kenya tree coral can grow quite big!
    As for your tank.
    An easy way to assist your tank in cycling much faster & stabilzing the system is to add a bacterial supplement like prodibio biodigest, seachem stability or brightwell aquatics microbacter7...
    It is litterally bacteria in a bottle. It rapidly creates large bacterial colonies in your tank.
    It is still a good idea to still cycle your tank for the full 6 weeks. The bacteria will just make your system much more mature in that time!

Recent Posts