Tips for successfully keeping a Nano reef

Reaction score
I thought i'd start up a thread where us nano reefers can give tips etc on how they successfully run their nano tanks. Please all feel free to give advice in this thread!

1.) Regular water changes! (I do 10% weekly). This helps keep parameters stable and also helps replenish any trace elements required by the coral and inverts.

2.) Use the best quality live rock you can afford (You don't need so many kg so rather pay that bit extra and get the good stuff. That way your natural filter will be far more effective!

3.) If you're wondering whether you should get that "one last fish", the answer is probably no. I've noticed that overseas forums the general consensus is understocked is always better with regards to nano tanks.

4.) Fish compatability and aggression levels need to be checked! Here is where I fell short, I bought a jumping bean (african pygmy angel) which is notorious for being quite aggressive. unfortunately for me it didn't take nicely to new inmates!

6.) Backup power is a necessity! A smaller tank loses heat etc much faster than a larger body of water, so by having some backup power I have peace of mind with power outages.

What are your guys tips?

I recommend we put together a list of what fishes can be housed successfully in a Nano. Example: Yellow-Tailed Damsel, FireGoby ect.

please no damsels - they become too attached to their homes and fight with any new fish you put in. Also no manderin - nano's are too small to produce enough to feed them

fish for a nano - i also love the fire goby, nemo is also very good.

shan that would be personal preference, but damsels can be housed in nanos, if not with other fish on there own then :)

do a 15% water change EVERY week and make a habit of it.
Take out any bio balls or anything like that. I don't even have that big black sponge
in the back of my 24g nano anymore. AS it also traps rubbish which you can't get out.
This will effect the water.
rather fill with more pieces of broken up LR in that back chamber to filter the water. Take floss out (if you use floss) every 3days as it gets shitshitty very quickly.

Yip,

More frequent is better than lumpsums.

May I add, watch your temp like a hawk. It swings very fast in a nano. And, don't get a nano if you don't know exactly what you want to keep. You will only end up dissappointed.

When buying livestock NEVER buy on impulse. Many reefers with larger tanks often get away with this because they have the space, however in smaller tanks bad things happen quickly. And even if that pretty new fish of yours will be fine in a nano, it might not be compatible with your other livestock. Plan plan plan!

Also when going into a LFS, don't buy because you're worried you wont find again - this is normally not the case. Rather make sure you've researched every purchase and know what you're in store for. This will save you money, time, and a load of frustration!

I researched every purchase I made and I believe it is what made my nano so successful.

ALWAYS have a backup power supply! Nano tanks lose heat a lot faster than larger bodies of water! I used a 300W inverter that could run my nano tank for well over 8 hours! (probably putting it up for sale now that i've sold the tank, haven't decided yet)

Back
Top Bottom