Tip on feeding new tangs

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned before or common knowledge, if you battling to feed a new tang cut up some chaeto (keep it very short as long strands may get caught in pumps), place in feeding bowl with some tank water and dump into tank so it goes below the water surface. Been battling to feed a new naso with various foods but it took to chaeto straight away.

Gaboon - let the tang be for a day or two. It will start eating by itself..... perhaps put soem nori on a clip and leave it there for a few days. You will see - the tang will figure it out and gobble it down after a few days or so. It is just nervous being in a new environment.......

All my tangs did that in the beginning..... I also worried.... but a few days later they started eating like pigs.... and have never stopped ;)
Even my new 2 tangs.....

Thanks jacquesb, just nervous after loosing my first naso. Quite interesting that it took to chaeto straight away. With the stress a tang can go through in a new tank and not eating, surely white spot can be a much bigger problem?

No - naso's are not that prone to white-spot. Not like powder blues or regals..... Chaeto is more natural. BTW: Can you perhaps get hold of some caulerpa? Tangs just LOVE caulerpa as well.....

Sheesh my tangs love the nori, they don't even give me time to fix it down they just belt my fingers, but i have seen them chow my bits of chaeto that end up in the dt, would rather it didn't end up there but hey once its there its fair game, unfortunately i don't have much chaeto left:( its like someone let a tang loose in my sump

Agree with the Caulrepa idea. The Chaeto doesn't all digest. All Tangs go crazy for Caulerpa

Hi Guys, this thread was a great help to me as well.I got a small Regal last weekend and when I introduced it into my tank it disappeared and barely made an appearance for 3 days and it wasn't eating. I was quite worried but as you's mentioned. It took a few days, but now its out and about. It has a little case of white spot but my cleaner wrasse is doing a good job of that. The regal is still shy but is eating and being a little more active. What a neat fish!

Another good food for tangs would be bananas. Yes bananas! I was shocked when i heard about it a few years back. But was amazed with the results.

Do they go bananas for it!!?? :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Mekaeel, I read that somewhere but it seemed odd. Should I cut a strip and clip it on the side or just chuck a slice in? I have a feeling there might be fight on between the hermit and the tang. Also it hasn't touched any nori or lettuce I clipped in, but has had some flake.

They also eat lettuce, cabbage, beetroot and parsley for my experience

They also eat lettuce, cabbage, beetroot and parsley for my experience

Hi Warr, scares lately hey?
I read somewhere that it's not recommended to feed herbivores fish "non-marine greens". Something to do with the processing and insecticides etc. I will look it up again and let you know where I read it ;)

Hi Warr, scares lately hey?
I read somewhere that it's not recommended to feed herbivores fish "non-marine greens". Something to do with the processing and insecticides etc. I will look it up again and let you know where I read it ;)

100%, I would never feed a fish anything other than food from the oceans.

The point I was making is Tangs will eat anything, even dead fish. They are totally 100% omnivores.

100%, I would never feed a fish anything other than food from the oceans.

The point I was making is Tangs will eat anything, even dead fish. They are totally 100% omnivores.

Yeah I know, mine chowed nori, Omego one flakes, shrimp, live artemia, frozen brine shrimp, etc. Very eager, doesn't even gave me a chance to put nori in the clip and chases the other fish when meaty foods were given :p

Back
Top Bottom