Tiny air bubbles on rock in DT

Reaction score
Hi

I have tiny air bubbles on my rock in the DT. I think it is coming from my return pump. What would be the best approach to resolve this?

20140104_144218.jpg

20140104_144218.jpg

So is this normal or something I should be worrying about? The diatom algae in my tank is just getting darker and darker by the day. Is this what is causing the bubbles? In terms of the diatom algae will it eventually go away or does the rock always look like this? Do I need to buy some LS to keep it under control?

20140104_144133.jpg

20140104_144133.jpg

Getting more livestock is not a good idea. Shorten light period as a matter of course

All 0 except phosphates which I will need to check? How long would you recommend I have the lights on?

Last edited:
It was dry rock. Thanks for the suggestion mandarinman. I will reduce light period and maybe intensity. Currently running a skimmer already

Two parts of the cycle are still to finish it seems. Diatoms and algae.

diatoms and algae are not definitive signs of the initial cycle being incomplete.

With the addition of your new livestock, your tank is experiencing a mini cycle until your tanks filtration restores a balance in the nitrogen cycle (ie the bacteria has caught up with the new bio load). Just monitor NH3 and NO2, run you skimmer and perform your water changes (if you are doing them.)

If you switch your lights off for 2 to 3 days your diatoms should clear up. your zoas should not be affected.

Last edited:
diatoms and algae are not definitive signs of the initial cycle being incomplete.

With the addition of your new livestock, your tank is experiencing a mini cycle until your tanks filtration restores a balance in the nitrogen cycle (ie the bacteria has caught up with the new bio load). Just monitor NH3 and NO2, run you skimmer and perform your water changes (if you are doing them.)

If you switch your lights off for 2 to 3 days your diatoms should clear up. your zoas should not be affected.
What he said. :)

Not definitive but are there at the same stage of the cycle process (at the end of). It is not part of the nitrogen cycle but definitely part of the tank maturation process. Some experts classify it as part of the cycle other experts not. However it is a sign of an immature system in the process of maturation.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is that the rock was like this before I left for a two week holiday(week 6 of cycling). I left the lights off during this time and the algae was still present when I got back. The algae is just darker now that I have the lights on. The algae on the rock has been present from about week 4 of cycling. I have been running my skimmer from the beginning and have to empty it about every 5days.

What I don't understand is that the rock was like this before I left for a two week holiday(week 6 of cycling). I left the lights off during this time and the algae was still present when I got back. The algae is just darker now that I have the lights on. The algae on the rock has been present from about week 4 of cycling. I have been running my skimmer from the beginning and have to empty it about every 5days.

Your nitrates may seem zero but they are being used by diatoms. Are you dosing carbon?

Back
Top Bottom