Timing My Lights

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Started with a Bouy L-550, 130L and my cycle now is 3 weeks, had some diatoms and they they seemed to have disappeard now, inhabitants are : 2X blue legged hermit, 1X regged hermit, lawnmower blenny, 2X marine snails, 1 frag of zenia coral, which look less heathly as when i bought her/it/he from sam's

QUESTION: how long do I leave my lights on everyday at this stage ????

Sammy

:lol: dont know, but to me a couple is 2. You can increase to 4 then 6 in intervals. Perhaps 10 days apart.

i agree a couple is 2??? but please tell me in 3 weeks into my cycle how long should i leave it on for ????

thats a tough question. I let mine cycle for 3 months with just aragonite and live rock in. If you sure about your water parameters and you really feel the need to add just remember a very important rule. "slowely is better " try one at a time to start with

I just kept checking water params and made sure everythng was running correctly. Good water flow is very important. By the way are you getting any dark skimmate in your skimmer yet ?

that's what i wanted to ask, my skimate water is really looking green gunky ??? not much skim or frosh by really green water ? is this good ???

you should have a good head of foam at the top of the neck. Does the skimmate have a really foul smell ?

yes, fowl smell, green gunk but not much foam ??? the foam is what i what to see the dirt getting skimmed off but dont see much, all i see is the gunk in skimmer waste ???

Perhaps just set the skimmer down a bit. My water level in my skimmer is just where the neck starts to taper. How long does it take to fill the cup ?

ok, what setup do you have ? do you have any frags for me me to start of with ?

Sorry bro, not at the moment. I see you are in Cape Town. You should come to the next CTRC meeting. The guys always bring frags and things for all to help themselves too. Very interesting too.

if your tank is cycling.run your lights for 5 hours a day.
thereafter you can run it upto 10 hours per day

Hi Sammy - The SeaChem stability is meant to be dosed once a week - and only if you suspect problems, more often... You can even dose once every two weeks.... Stability is meant to "topup" the bacteria in your tank. If you dose too often, the bacteria will start to die off.....

Your lighting should be as Mekaeel said - 5 to 6 hours in the beginning, and later on you can leave it on for a maximum period of 10 to 12 hours in a day.....

Back
Top Bottom