Time to change (Alternative power sources)

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok enough complaining about power cuts, time to think of real ideas of using less power on our tanks.

Time to find info on pumps and things that use less electricity.

Tunze nano's claim to use less power, they can even run off 12v.

It has been mentioned before about sinking a big container, or piping underground to try keep tanks cool, has anybody tried it.

This could be an interesting thread Thalion, Lets see what the guys come up with

I've seen solartube tanks lit by natural sunlight and just some supplemental actinic t5 lighting..... looked fantastic!! nice is that the power to light a big tank - say four 250W MH isn't needed anymore.... also apparently they don't run as hot as the light source doesn't generate it's heat close to the tank as in MH etc and growth is fantastic....

I have also seen a tank lit only by sun light and it looks amazing I will see if I could find the pics again and post them. Very cool Idea

Danie, here in PE (14000 L tank) whos tank we saw on the tour run 400MH and solatubes, however his tanks are very very deep 1M +

Will find but like I said the tank is very deep and the light does not penetrate enough they are redoing them at the moment

We will see how many Tanks for sales their will be this year.

I hope not.

Quite intrigued by the chiller idea in the ground. Know of anyone that tried it, makes sense.

I think it will also work as a heater, just got to get the depth right and the length of piping.

You know you might be right, in the day the ground will be cold from the evening before and warm in the evening from the day.

You guys should try using BIG fans before trying chillers, they get rid of a huge amount of heat for very little power. Big fan on high power 78Watts. Medium chiller 1000watts.

Big fan probably wins the race for power and heat reduction.

Bonus is that you can dose more Kalk to replace what evaporates.

Also my big new 5000l system will have a skylight system to light it.

Thalion, I hope you dont mind, I changed the title a bit:thumbup:

Maybe Hill thought it was Changing Time in a ladies locker room and thats why he hadnt ventured in here :rofl:

I am also currently looking at a skylight to light my new proposed
2.1m system. The skylight will cost me R10 000 +- installed and will cover 2x1m

Back
Top Bottom