Time for new skimmer pump

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by gaboon, 30 Nov 2010.

1. gaboon

gaboon

My Aquabee pump on my deltec AP600 skimmer is getting a little noisy but cant really tell if its affecting the performance. Have stripped it but cant see anything wrong.

Just priced a new Aquabee pump now @ R980 and an Eheim @ R1900.

The skimmer is rated for 600L and my tank is about 600L so ideally I need a bigger skimmer, can I put a bigger pump on or is it not as simple as that?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

not as simple as that bru. If you put a skimmer pump that is too big you will have too much air in your skimmer body and you will get a foam cannon, you will also be limited in how you would be able to set the skimmer to skim as you will skim too wet if you put a too big pump on. as the amount of air that you pump in would be determined by the skimmer body size and the length of the neck. in the states you could put a bigger pump on certain skimmers and buy an extended neck with cup for the mod. we cant do that here and i doubt the APF600 is one that they upgraded i think it was the Extreme 250 octo that you could buy an extended cup for.

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed reply ziyaad.

Should I stick with the aquabee or are there better pumps available?

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

there are much better pumps available. I think the bubble blaster 2000 pump would be a great fit for your skimmer body but you will need to modify the fittings and its more expensive then the eheim. If you can get the eheim to fit go for it. I would suggest the 1260 as the 1262 may push too much air.

New sicce pumps i have not seeing in the country and i dont know if they can be run externally and the old ones need to be run internally only.

6. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

What about those Bubble Blaster pumps? Pricey, but they perform like beasts!

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

connectors and fitting it and very very pricey rather buy the complete skimmer

Recent Posts