Time for CUC?

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
So my cubes been running for 13 days ( incl today) and iv got quite a bit of Aglae growing all over. Its hairy and brown...is it good or bad? Also is it time to add a CUC ( clean up crew ) to the mix now? Iv also got a small nenny growing...its got a white base and light brown tentacles. Just popped outa nowhere. Good or bad?

My tanks volume is 450l....but with all the density its now about 275l. So in saying that....how many hermits and snails should I add?

2mqukpd.gif

e1aljm.jpg

2yk0qdu.jpg

Here are the long webby snotty strands that iv seen grow in a few cycling marine aquariums. Sorry but by the time I got the camera ready they floated to the surface and clumped together.

2ur02va.gif

Hi Wetty - if your ammonia/nitrites are 0, then YES - you can definitely start adding a cleanup crew..... Just start off with some hermit crabs..

Remember - IF you decide to put in snails - the acclimitization period for snails is VERY long - much longer than for fish or hermit crabs.....

Hey Wetty, I would wait with CUC if I were you. 13 days is still very young for a tank, I would have waited at least another 2 weeks. Maybe take some water to the LFS to test? Normally you can add CUC once the Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, and the Nitrates are near zero (<10ppm). The brown algae is diatoms, a normal part of the cycle, it should clear in a few weeks! The small nenny sounds like Aiptasia, not that good for a tank, as it stings corals its gets too close too!

Hey Wetty, I would wait with CUC if I were you. 13 days is still very young for a tank, I would have waited at least another 2 weeks. Maybe take some water to the LFS to test? Normally you can add CUC once the Ammonia and Nitrites are zero, and the Nitrates are near zero (<10ppm). The brown algae is diatoms, a normal part of the cycle, it should clear in a few weeks! The small nenny sounds like Aiptasia, not that good for a tank, as it stings corals its gets too close too!

Took sum water last saturday. All parameters are out...as expected. Only my PH was good

OK - if this is the case then Wetty, wait another 2 weeks or so, and have your water's parameters measured again...... Ignore the dyatoms/algae - it will die off at some stage....

Then rather wait. It will be worth it in the end! I know it is very hard to look at an empty tank! Hermits and snails are not all that cheap (R30-R40 ea), and besides, I don't think you would want to kill the first life you put into the tank!;)

Will it make a difference that I threw sum of that RED SEA NITRO BAC in? Im jsut worried I sit with an algae prob I cant get rid of.

Algae is part of the natural cycle of any marine system, to keep it down for now just keep the lights off until the cycle has finished and you then ready to add CUC.

If you start getting hair algae or cyanobacterium (red slimy algae type), then you can worry, but flat diatoms on the glass is nothing to worry about!;)

Part of the fun/misery of the hobby is "new tank syndrome" which basically means your tank will look wrecked before it starts to look good, avoid using any chemical additives, just make sure your R/O is spot on, run a phosphate remover and ensure good flow all around the tank, then you have to sit on your hands for a few weeks.

Part of the fun/misery of the hobby is "new tank syndrome" which basically means your tank will look wrecked before it starts to look good, avoid using any chemical additives, just make sure your R/O is spot on, run a phosphate remover and ensure good flow all around the tank, then you have to sit on your hands for a few weeks.

I dont mind waiting. Iv done it patiently for 13 days already. I jsut dont want to have to spend the rest of the tanks life battling parasites and other nasties because I didnt avoid them or treat them in the beginning.

I dont mind waiting. Iv done it patiently for 13 days already. I jsut dont want to have to spend the rest of the tanks life battling parasites and other nasties because I didnt avoid them or treat them in the beginning.

The best way to combat the nuisance algaes is to ensure your water perameters are good, they generally feed off excess nutrients, so get your water good and they starve, it does take a while sometimes, you just have to persevere.
Good luck.

The best way to combat the nuisance algaes is to ensure your water perameters are good, they generally feed off excess nutrients, so get your water good and they starve, it does take a while sometimes, you just have to persevere.
Good luck.

Cool. Once the cycling period is over then I can really clean up and purify

Cool. Once the cycling period is over then I can really clean up and purify

Well the nuisance algae should go by itself, but you can start the water changes, and don't forget to keep running a P04 remover.

Hi I would start with a Black Molly for the next week and see how it goes before spending real money.

Sorry Deirdire, but the practice of housing fresh water fish, no matter how hardy they may be - is considered cruel and outdated.

The fact that mollies can survive the poor conditions of a cycling reeftank, doesn't mean they enjoy it, or we should do it.

Wetty, allow your tank to cycle naturally, there is no need to use any other influences in the cycle process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I would start with a Black Molly for the next week and see how it goes before spending real money.

Sorry dude but ur stepping on a mine field here, I made the same mistake :lol:

Back
Top Bottom