Time for a new car - Maybe a Volvo?

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by Kanga, 19 Mar 2011.

1. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

OK so its time for a new car, my trusty Subaru has been let down by the service here in Cape Town. Had they done a decent job, my next car would have been a new Forester no question, however I am more likely to buy a new Subaru from my gardener because I think he knows more than the service guys here in CT and I am positive his access to spare parts is far superior to the agents.

I need a decent solid car

• Auto
    • Decent service
    • something that can overtake ( I don't want to plan overtaking weeks in advance)
    • decent size interior ( I have the body of a god, Buddha that is, plus I am 6ft4")
    • Be nice if it can climb a pavement but not essential

So I have looked at

• 3 Series BMW, very very boring but a nice drive
    • C180 - expensive
    • Renault Fluence (no Auto available)
    • Hyundai IX35
    • Volvo S60 2.0T ( so far my choice)
    What else is there that I should be looking at?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

honda accord awesome vehicle
    new kia 4*4 cant remember the name but its a stunner, plus u can climb all the pavements u want,
    vw tiguan - nice small suv

4. durleo

durleo

kia sportage - excellent styling and value for money

5. Kanga

Kanga Thread Starter Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Not nuts about them. no idea why:blush:

Drive the honda quite often when I travel, fine car but not to spend money on, sorry:blush:

Tiguan in Auto 2L with some option is well over 400K:(
    '
    :peroni:

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A volvo is for life, cause once you own one no one would want to buy it back from you.

Seriously though, I know of 2 people who had XC90s and not even volvo wanted to buy the cars back after 4 years. The trade in values on them is really shocking. Maybe the sedans are better? I am not sure.

IX35... I really like the exterior but the interior was a let down. Very plasticy for such a car. And the waiting list for the 2.0GLS Auto is 6 months. Plus no one has one that you can test drive so you will have to buy a car without test driving it.

In all honesty I still prefer the A4 above the 3 series or c class. But not a lot of people like audis.

Last edited: 19 Mar 2011
  7. SIMS

SIMS

I just got a second hand VW Toureg - I am quite happy with it so far

8. Dane

Dane

Tourag. Now that is a fantastic car. Bit big for todays fuel prices tho.
    Bang for buck - Hyundai sonata, unbeleivable features in this thing. The IX35 looks a bit meh imho - except in black. The new Kia's I think look fantastic, the sportage is prob what I would go for.

9. SIMS

SIMS

i got a diesel - 11l/100km is not THAT bad...

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Damn... me too :whistling:

Then DON'T buy a Volvo - their after sales service is even worse :eek:

I drive a 2005 Volvo V50 diesel, and I'm quite happy with the car, but NOT with the dealer service, and certainly NOT with the responses I've had from Volvo SA.

The car now has about 230 000 km on the clock (mostly long-distance) and average fuel consumption for the last 100 000 km is 5.5 l/100km, cruising at the legal speed limit most of the time... It also has excellent acceleration when overtaking, thanks to the diesel's torque.

The dealerships all sell Volvo, Land Rover and Citroen, and as everyone who owns these cars will confirm, none of them are known for their backup service. I've had my Volvo to three different dealerships during the past 6 years, and none of them could do even a half-decent job. Latest disappointment came with the people in Pietermaritzburg who mis-diagnosed a clutch problem, costing me an extra R3800.00 for replacing a perfectly good part (AND charging me R600.00 to (mis) diagnose the problem...). Previously, the car came back from services (Bloemfontein and Vereeniging) with bolts loose (missing in one instance) or parts broken. Volvo SA is even worse, when it comes to customer satisfaction - I tried to contact them a few times to complain about the service from their dealerships, and once because they refused to sell me a simple "special tool" which one need to change the fuel filter, and they were either "in meetings" or just not available. Leaving messages just did not help, so I sent them emails (and cc'd them to their international head office in Sweden...), but some YEARS later I have still not received any replies!

Very true... I'm currently in the market for a new car myself, and the best offer I could get for the Volvo was R40 000.00 :(

Don't buy a Volvo!!!

Not really - MB has some pretty good deals going on their "C" range at the moment (I suspect there are new models being released soon...). I got a quote on the C220 CDI for R354 150.00 "on the road", and only R336 190.00 for the C200 CGI. I would opt for the optional Avantgarde package (Leather seats, larger wheels and a few other "blings") for an additional R20 500.00, as well as extending their full maintenance plan to 120 000 km for R6 210.00 (which IMHO is a real bargain).

Have you looked at the Pajero Sport (3.2 liter diesel) - at around R406 000.00 you can climb some serious pavements, it's pretty good looking, AND it has a very good engine... but it is pretty thirsty.

Good luck with your decision :peroni:

Hennie

11. Kanga

Shall have a look at the Audi, thanks.

Yeah Sims Toureg is stunning but new they are hefty in price.

Will have a look at the KIA although not to sure about them.
    Thanks Hennie, I will relook the the Merc and will check out the Pajero, and thanks for the heads up on the Volvo (although the S60 is a stunner to drive.)

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not essential you say, yeah right. How many pavements did you climb the last time I was in the car with you? You had to take me to the chemist to get motion sickness medicine, remember? You maniac. :p

What about the Skoda Yeti? The boys at Top Gear voted it as car of the year last year, or the year before I think.

13. Kanga

Oh I like the Skoda, but dont tell ANGRY.

Wasnt those pills for alchohol poisoning? However ANGRY does say you need a Prozac and a sixpack to drive with me:peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni: :chillpill:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Ya well, I drank so much because I thought I was going to die, all your fault. :lol:

The Skoda is perfect for you, 5 star ncap safety rating, good for passengers (little Isabella) but bad for pedestrians. :D:D:D http://www.euroncap.com/results/skoda/yeti/368.aspx

Last edited: 20 Mar 2011
  15. Kanga

You thought you were going to die because of your drinking not my superb, skillfull and pinpoint accurate driving:whistling:

Hey I am never a pedestrian so that's fine:tt2::peroni:

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Audi and Merc eg

RS4 and C63 AMG :whistling:

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Best you divorce Angry and marry an oil sheiks daughter .... then get him to put a petrol depot in your yard and then empty your marine tanks and fill them with petrol for reserves (And you will still be short!)

18. maxisoft

maxisoft

I agree... Audi's good value for money and as far as fuel consumption is concerned, the BM's fall way short.... A4 2.0T awesome power equal to most 3.0 v6's..imho

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used to be in the auto industry, on the wholesale side of things, financing dealerships. Their loans to be able to buy cars from manufacturer. Yes, those cars on the floor, is bought and dealer pay interest etc just like you and me. That is why they do not like you jumping into any vehicle on their showroom. The financing included new, demo and used vehicles.

Actually you do not trade in your old car. The dealer buy it from you. Yes, that is what happens, and they need to finance that trade in. Especially if you got a expensive second hand.

Anyway. Does not matter what make of vehicle. They all lose between 30 to 45% value in the first year. Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Hyundai. The cars up to 45% is the GTI's RS, M, RSI, WRX whatever. All the top end high performance vehicles. On all these cars, the other vehicle, just smaller does better with resale.

Also, Double cab bakkies, are in the 45% range in the first year. Everybody wants a new one and does not want one that somebody took into the bush. As if that ever happens. This kind of includes all the baby 4x4 vehicles, RAV4, X3, etc.

Another group are those bottom line Chinese or Indian imports. All those budget vehicles (excluding City Golf). Those that everybody buy because they want a brand new vehicle. So they bur cheep Chinese, where they could have bought a secondhand 2 or 3 year old Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota whatever, at least an 1800 or 2L for the same price.

Then for the second year, all vehicles loose between 9 to 15%. Thirds year between 5 to 10%, and so it continues. Older vehicles looses less. Because a 5 year old Mercedes is still a better car than a TaTa. And the bottom, for a car that still is roadworthy, does not matter what year model, if it can still go , you can still get at least 20grand for it (higher nowadays). So all old cars must fit in somewhere from 20 g upwards. Plus number of that specific model also impact value. Basic economy 101.

Mercedes got the best resale value - bull - there was a time when the Audi A4 got better trade-ins. Everything keeps going right - sure - but try to sell that car. You must keep in mind how many of that cars go to the rental industry or group sale. They get substantial discounts, ordering 100 Corolla's for example. They keep them for a year, and sell them. So they dump those cars in a saturated second hand market for Corolla, and can afford a discount on resale, deduct that loss anyway from company expenses. So how do you trade your 1 year old high volume seller.

Kanga? what is your upper limit you want to spend.
    Body Shape.
    Performance. (you indicated that already, put foot down, you want to go)
    Minimum engine size?
    Safety requirements?
    Ever want to use the vehicle for towing?

Check on Car Magazine | Automotive news and buyers guide homepage, there is a Research a Car section. Their are some other compare sites as well.

BTW, I drive a Mazda6. One of the first batch when they were introduced in 2003. For 2L up, that was the best at the lowest price. Even better than a 2L BMW.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And yes, all those optional extras, Ticking a few and you add 100 thou to the price. They do not add a lot to your car resale value.

21. Deon07

Deon07

Lexus RX350 XE, no optional extra's as all is included already. Best car ever

Recent Posts