Tidal pool tank (view from the top) lighting question

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FDB, 18 Nov 2009.

1. FDB

FDB

Hi guys. As many of you know, i have that big area in my house that can host a 2500L tank if i place the tank on top of it. The area itself is supposed to be an indoor plant area.
    Building a massive tank on top of it would not be cost effective.

After visiting Furbs yesterday, i saw how cool a reef tank looks from the top, so i'm thinking of rather building a tidal pool tank in that area in my house (will also be about 2500L)
    All i need to do is marbalite the existing structure, do the plumbing, aquascape, do the lighting and voila!

But here is my question:
    How would YOU do lighting in a tank that is to be viewed from the top?
    Would you place the lights in the walling? (Underwater lighting)

The "tank" would be about 1M wide by 2.5M long by 80cm tall and would host a reef with colorfull anemone's etc, and maybe a school of fishies. Or well, something that would be cool viewed from the top. or even a fish free tank.

Any suggestions?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FDB

FDB Thread Starter

I can add lets say 35cm glass on top of the tank to make it deeper and also thereby creating a semi side view, but then the water would be 1M plus deep, and it would place 3 tonnes on my house's floor.
    :-(

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The lights will reflect so much into your eyes, I doubt a top down look will work at all. But it is a Cool idea.

5. FDB

FDB Thread Starter

Not if i put the lights in the wall so they don't shine into the water from above the surface, but rather like a swiming pool's light, from the top sides of the tank (about 5 of them) downwards on the reefs.
    :)
    Basically, as i quickly slapped a plan together, i can build this so that absolutely nothing is above the water's surface except the top half of the outlet pipe.
    But... I would need to use lights that can fit into a 20cm by 20cm square and would not overheat easily.

6. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

If i were you, I would speak to nemosjanitor.

Im sure he can help you with what you are wanting to do

7. davidfr7

davidfr7

The heat from the lights will encourage algae to grow on the glass so you must make it so it can be cleaned easily. You might have to clean every week.

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

a tidal pool is a great idea, however i am with the other guys on this.... traditionally these sorts of pools (there are at leadt two threads of these sorts of pools on MASA) are large outdoor area's with natural lighting

are you going to use the in wall lighting for coral growth or for supplimenting the coral growth, if it is the primary source of light i would be worried about it being enough

where will you put the filtration of this system?

Personally i would go with a very shallow propper tank... something like 1m x 2m x 40 cm, but a pic of the space available would help us to see what you have in mind

9. Megalodon

Megalodon

I would say the only way a tank like this may work is using a huge skylight above maybe situated near windows so that you get a lot of natural light?

Recent Posts