Thunderstorm took out my powerheads

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by dogstar, 26 Dec 2009.

1. dogstar

dogstar

I think the jhb thunderstorm, resulted in lightening hitting my house. Half my house is running on something that can only be described as half power. Lights go on, but burn very dim. TV and some appliances dont seem to be affected.

My tank is in the part of the house running off "half" power. When i got home skimmer pump, return pump and all powerheads were making a grinding clicking noise. Dunno how long this had been going for. Figured there was in issue, and ran an extension cord from the part of the house were everything is working, and connected all up.

Skimmer (reefocto) and return pump (lifetech) seem to be working, no noises. All my powerheads, 2 x sun suns, and 2 x seios seem to be damaged. Still make a noise when i connect them up. Opened them up, no broken shafts or anything. But they just wont run properly.

Any advise on how to get these running again? Or are they permanently gone?

Also how long you reckon i can run my tank without the powerheads? At the moment, only water movent is from the return. Skimmer is getting air into the water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

oh, might be slow responding here, i think the lightening, took out my modem and router

4. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Dogstar

Firstly, from what you are discribing the lightning has caused some seroius damage to the circuitry in your house, I would advise calling a sparky to check it out ASAP, it could lead to FIRE!!!!!

I would unplug and drop all the circuit breakers on the effected areas.

As you have said, use an extension cord to power the tank from a "good" plug, but keep an eye out!

Depending on the size of the tank a return pump generally should be ok, Perhaps a air pump if you have?

If you have tried the pumps on the "good" power and they still rattle, then unfortunately it sounds like they are poked, time to upgrade if need be.

5. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

i'v got a 2500lph power head i could spare if your in a pickle. has an eductor on it.

6. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

seems like the power sorted itself during the course of last night. Powerheads are back to working normally.

So everything looks in order this morning. Will get an electrician to come check it out though, was very wierd what happend last night.

7. SynysterGates

SynysterGates

If you're running on 3 phase power you probably lost a phase, so the voltage to your appliances dropped. Best is to switch everything off cos things are meant to work on 240v here and then switch on when eskom have all 3 phases working again. You could check at your db board, if you have 3 phase you should see all three circuits are on by the green lights, if you loose one then rather switch off.

Recent Posts