Thread idea: Quick idea of local species

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 459b, 8 Dec 2010.

1. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

With the December holidays fast approaching and the coastal areas gearing up to be swarmed by those unlucky enough to live inland, i would like to propose the following idea for a thread.
    Many, myself included, head to warmer waters and get tempted to plunder every living creature i come across thinking it will do fine in my tank. To prevent too many "PLease ID this thing i found while on holiday" threads and save the needless death of sea creatures, could we perhaps make a thread somewhere that includes pictures of organisms that can be legally collected and safely/happily kept in reef tanks.
    This will serve as a quick refernce guide to show people what they can collect instead of them taking EVERYTHING only to find out later on that it is impossible to keep and/or will eat everything in your tank.

So this wont be a discussion thread - simply pictures and a brief comment on where it is found and if its safe to keep.

As an example:

Name: Zoanthus sansibaricus
    Violet zoanthid

[​IMG]

Collected from: Natal coast
    Comments: thrives in reef aquarium etc etc etc

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

good idea or bad idea???

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Name: Green Zoa's
    Location: Sheffield beach, be careful of the killer stairs :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. flipwhip

flipwhip

Really good idea Dave...:thumbup:

6. magman

magman

good idea, except if we name beaches/locations, they will not have a rock left by the time school starts next year.

7. Slummies

Slummies

pls do not name collecting areas, rather habitat

8. Sentari

Sentari

Slummies why not name the location?

9. Slummies

Slummies

cos i tell you that you can get some nice blue zoas at Spot X and then you, your mates and everyone else who comes to read this will go and take some.. even if you dont take the whole colony (which is doubtful) most of it will be gone and the next year there will be none

10. 459b

My intention for this wasnt to be for people find out WHERE to find the best stuff. I intend it to be where you can get a quick ID of things that you can keep. It really frustraes me when people collect things and dont know what they are and the animla ends updying in their tank.
    I dont think posting exact GPS coordinates is a good idea, rather give a very genral location...like north of Durban, or East London area.

11. 459b

And this was only an idea - so if all the coastal people think that this will give away their secret collection spots and will add to poaching, then please dont be shy to say so.

12. Sentari

Sentari

Slummies i think you generalising. I think most of us arent out there to pull the reefs apart. I think we all out there to culture them and pass them on to fellow reefers.

You cant tell me that you havent shared any of your locations with other people?

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Awesome idea BTW David:thumbup:

14. Slummies

Slummies

I do not think im generalising.. the general public will go and take as much as they can. which at times is way to much. presleys coast is not what it used to be. taking small frags (like 3-8 heads) is a good way to make sure that the next guy has and that the colony can grow back.

trust me, i am VERY secretive about where i collect. i have shared with a few people. those who are friends and those who have shared their secrets with me. i guess its the surfer in me that makes me wanna keep collecting sites secret. i used to shoot at spot where only 3 of us in the SA new about.. now the wave is photographed in every SA surfing mag every issue and has become so popular that I have been told i am not allowed there! haha! crazy, anyway

lets not tell the world k? Sentari, i will share some great spots with you but will keep the fantastic ones to myself:)

15. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Guys, I bought my dad a book for his birthday that is SUPER cool. It is called Two Oceans: A Guide to the Marine Life of South Africa.

It has 348 pages of species on our shores, and not from deep water, all species that are found in rock pools etc...

I bought at CNA for R250, but Google Books also has it.

Here is the link:

Two Oceans: A Guide to the Marine ... - Google Books

A MUST HAVE REALLY!!!

16. Slummies

Slummies

i think this is a good thread..:)

here is something that does well in our tanks, if you can feed it CORRECTLY.. have never ever found not even ONE..
    [​IMG]

THESE SHRIMP NEED TO HAVE AMPLE STARFISH TO EAT JUST LIKE HARLEQUINS!

17. Slummies

Slummies

i got it last year for my bday. great book and has tons of saltcreep since i keep it with me when i hit the beach:) only down side is that it doesnt cover the hundreds of different juvi's we get here in summer

18. Slummies

Slummies

Another one...

Found in late Summer.. terrible in our tanks as it only eats a certain type of food... please, if catch one, dont keep it, it will eat through your glass. i have a special tank for it, you can pass it on to me:p

[​IMG]

19. chas84

chas84

This is a great idea, however I agree it's not a good idea to give the exact location. Unfortunately people (not everybody, I know) are greedy and when they're standing in rocks and there's a room-sized mat of brightly colored zoa's, many can not resist. It seems not everybody realises that it's better (probably better chances of surviving) to just take small amounts. And lets also just mention once again (for those that STILL don't know), that anything collected in SA is not allowed to be sold or swapped, traded in any way. I recently saw a very well known SA reefer offering some items for sale that I am almost 100% sure are local, I'm hoping it's just a matter of me seeing the exact same stuff in KZN rock pools a while ago :)

20. Slummies

Slummies

agreed, but remember - every single fly, surgeon, etc that we find here can and at times is most defiantly imported.. so maybe they did catch maybe they didnt. im just saying

21. chas84

chas84

Yip.

Recent Posts