Thoughts on caulerpa in sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ziguri, 13 Jun 2015.

1. ziguri

ziguri

I currently have a small section of my sump which is empty and was wondering whether it would be a good idea to add a small piece of caulerpa in there and let it grow? What would I need in terms of lighting and what should I be wary of ?

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with hang on refugiums and if so which would you recommend for a 450 liter tank.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

All plants use nutrients for survival and growth, mainly being nitrates and phosphates. So any plant would be beneficial in a marine tank. They use CO2 for growth and release O2, thus keeping your tank's pH stable during the night.
    There are disadvantages, it takes time for algae to grow and that "small" section might not be enough room to accommodate enough algae you need for the removal of sufficient nutrients.
    Caulerpa can go into it's "sexual" stage of the life cycle (easily fixed by having a 24 hour period), however really only applies to the grape Caulerpa.
    Lighting is another factor, a normal cfl globe works wonders, I currently use special LED globes with blue, green and violet LEDS, two large yellow LEDS and one cfl and my Caulerpa and Chaeta is growing like wild fire. I have heard some using T5 and T8 globes. It's really your choice.
    Chaeto takes longer to grow and it's best kept tumbling in a water (mine doesn't tumble, but it's in more shallow water).

I have never heard of hang on refugiums, or do you mean an algae scrubber? Refugiums usually go beneath a tank or can be worked remotely.
    Alhgal scrubbers work well, again size of scrubber is determined by your bio load. I am sure you will get others views and experience replying.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2015
  4. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

The section in my sump is quite small 300x300x120 . Regarding the hang in refugiums , here is what they look like Reef Octopus

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Refugium might be too small to handle bioload for tank in terms of algae, but some algae is better than no algae.
    The reefocto refugium looks cool, it looks like it has rubber feet, I would never hang something like that on the edge of my tank that carries a large mass of water. If you had a satnd made for it to support the refugium, then why not?

ziguri likes this.
Recent Posts