Thought For the Day

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Smirre, 8 Jul 2013.

1. Smirre

Smirre

Thought for today

This is an open forum where all the guys and girls that keep marine fish can get advise and help from one another .
    My question is for today , why all the bad mouthing and insults on an open forum? If you have a problem with a fellow reefer sort it out private. This should be a nice place to have a nice discussion , but NO there is always someone that has to throw a spanner in the works . Some days I don't even want to log on to MASA because of all the nitty gritty S**T . Are we not civilized or grown up? Don't throw a tantrum.
    We can have a nice discussion and respect each other.
    Just my Thought

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree, this is a hobby of passion, commitment and emotion, so all of these tend to get in the way, since most advice is , or should be, based on personal experience not everyone does. so ego gets involved then everyone jumps on and throws in their 2c.

i have mentioned this before but especially with new comers, they show their new setups which they were advised on by a LFS and the first thing people do is jump on them and start saying change this, remove that, it was wrong... thats the last thing they want to here is that they have made an error. A prime example is bio-balls, everyone always says throw them away, nitrate factory without actually explaining why... well i use them, always have :)

so to answer sometimes we are like kids, especially when someone doesnt agree with you, so maybe the mods should just keep the threads on topic and we report the ones we dont want with valid reasons.

so lets all reef

Last edited: 8 Jul 2013
  4. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

And I use noodles:tt2:. Works for me

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sometimes, if you take offence at somebodies reply to you, before you jump on your horse. Think, why would somebody that you do not know, that stays far away, have no financial interest, can gain nothing personally from your situation. Why would that person waste 5 minutes of his life on you?

Read again, and try to see the message behind the words. Typing your thoughts are not that easy as speaking them, no facial expressions or hand signals. And then language translations as well, spelling mistakes, grammar etc.

Sometimes it is a very good comment that is lost in the words.

6. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

You all raise some valid points.

But keep in mind, as @dallasg mentions, ego's get in the way.

We should remember that there is no 'ONE' correct way of doing things. Different things work for different people and in the end achieve the same result. So what may work for you, might not work for another.

In the end, its all about opinion. My advise, being a beginner myself, to all other newbies, is to do research on many forums and see what would work for your personal needs.

Sometimes, its about achieving a 'name' for oneself in the reefing hobby and being well known for having so much of knowledge, or other personal gain (ego) not realising that others have achieved the same results with a different approach.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agree 1000%. The forum MUST be a place where everyone can feel comfortable, negativity and insults are not welcome.
    It is absolutely vital that you guys report posts that offend you, the forum is so busy that the mods are not able to read each and every single post, so please bring these posts to our attention. Our fuses have grown very short with people that insult others, so if you come across an insulting post, PLEASE report it so that it is brought to our attention and the mods will take action if needed. :)

This is what the "report post" icon looks like - [​IMG] It's on the left at the bottom of the username area on each post, please use it and abuse it.

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

I have thrown away my stirring spoon

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

10. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

Thanx @butcherman appreciate the help. I am also glad to see that there is some guys and girls out there that feels the same as me

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. dallasg

but reefers must not take all criticisms and arguments as bad, forcing someone to think and understand the point of view/advice/product or process is just as vital.

whats that saying, give a man a fish .....

12. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

Totaly agree with you but if for instance you or me or whoever are not in a good mood the specific day. One joke or sarcastic answer can blow the lid of anyone and whoomp there is a fight.It is like you said before what works for you might not work or sound right to the following user. But it all comes down to choice and preference.

13. dallasg

well let me add to this, your thread has got me thinking....

so if 2 or more reefers have got it working, whatever it is, why cant it work for others? unless they using pixie dust or divine intervention why cant solutions work across the board? Maybe we don't have patience, maybe we dont implement it correctly, nothing beats read the user manual etc.

14. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

Good point and taken.Could be that they had a bad experience or were taught another way.Just ask some of the guys that know me.I can be a kamakazi at times but it works for me. Eish and that manual always seem to misplace mine;). Do what feels right and don't overcomplicate. Back in 2000
    When I first tried this hobby we did not have all the gadgets an cubes ect ect . Was a bit more difficult but hey keep it simple and enjoyable.

15. dallasg

when i started in '91 all i had access to was a sander skimmer and koi pond filter with hair curlers, ran that tank for 4 years :)

16. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

And it worked:thumbup:
    That is why I say keep the piece and don't fight. There is really no reason for fighting:1:

17. dallasg

you right there isnt...

18. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

just hope I have no offended anyone unintentionally, have been typing alot and giving opinions

19. Smirre

Smirre Thread Starter

No your post's is very informative thanx, I run overflow box to ;)

20. dallasg

unlucky for them... personal experience beats theory :thumbup:

21. shan

shan

the problem is there are those who know a lot (from experience) and those who think they know a lot.

on a forumn, many times it comes down to showing each other up - and that when fights occur. We all have opinions, and many time we do not agree with each others OPINIONS and then the ego's get involved. If we keep the ego's out of it, all will be good - i think

Recent Posts