Those Microbes that Gawie used twice?

Discussion in 'EcoWorx Africa' started by superscenic, 5 Feb 2010.

1. superscenic

superscenic Galactic Archchancellor

Hey there. I want to know what Gawie used when he cycled his new 1.2 meter large tank and sump. Once before he moved, and again after he moved to his new house. He dosed two bottles of live microbes I think. The stuff apparently lowers nitrates and amonia among other things. What is it called and where do I get these bottles? I swear that stuff is liquid (smelly) gold.

I PM'd Gawie ,but I think he is busy installing POS systems across the country with his new Job.

I wont say how quickly his tank cycled, only that I witnessed it with my own eyes.

Thank you,
    Clem

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Think its prodibio

Biotim and bio digest

If you need some pm Frans or email him at frans@dorrypets.co.za

he will have them for you

4. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Nope Lanzo - its my new muti that we imported :thumbup::razz:

Gawie used MicrobeLift Special Blend and Nite-Out2 :thumbup:

We are currently busy with a slow roll out of the new product range

5. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Some more info:

MICROBE-LIFT Special Blend is a mix of bacterial strains that were chosen to help maintain a healthy environment for aquarium inhabitants at the same time keeping the tank clean, and clear.

The bacteria in Special Blend function as waste degraders, breaking down hard to degrade substances like grease, long chain fatty acids, and glycerol that are found in sh food. With their ability to keep up with the waste you can prevent the build-up of detritus on the substrate and in pockets of low water flow in a reef. These bacteria also work anaerobically to remove nitrate (NO3-)by converting it to nitrogen gas. Nitrate (NO3-) is toxic to some inhabitants of the aquarium as well asbeing a major contributing factor for algae growth. By removing nitrate (NO3-) you can reduce theamount of algae in the aquarium significantly. In an established system, nitrate (NO3-) removal can be seen within hours.

The bacteria in Special Blend will also break down the excess proteins eliminating the need for a skimmer. No protein skimmer means less electricity used, less heat generated by an additional pump, and more room in your sump or behind your tank. And let’s not forget the benet of not having to empty a dirty, smelly collection cup.

Used together with the live nitrifying bacteria found in MICROBE-LIFT/ Nite-Out II you can cycle a new aquarium instantly. Just set-up the tank, adjust pH, KH, Salinity, and temperature, add your fish along with Special Blend and Nite-Out II, and begin feeding.
    The bacterial combination will cycle the tanks while preventing dangerous spikes in ammonia (NH3/NH4+) and nitrite (NO2). In a new system, once the bacteria have time to establish bio-films the nitrate (NO3) will also be removed.​

Last edited: 5 Feb 2010
  6. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Yes please!!!

7. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Sounds ike another snake oil...

8. crispin

crispin

you chatted about this stuff when we met in december, nice to know its giving you good results and that youve landed some.

is it working well on bath water too ?

9. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Lanzo I will send you the info next week.

Singu I knew someone would bring that up - they have won best new product at every show they go to, they have the science to back it up and 35 years in biological augmentation of water systems. We are currently dosing industrial strength versions of these products in sewerage farms with great success - took a completely dead 2.2mil L pond to having life in it and meeting Department of Water Affairs limits for effluent water in a mere 10 weeks.

Crispy - its working fantastically. Better than what I could have imagined.

10. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i honestly cant understand why people still waiste money on "quick cycle" products, it has been proven time and time again that a normal tank cycle is the way to go, why waiste R100 or more to shave a couple of days of your cycle, thought patience was key to this hobey, just cycle the tank and you know you are ready to go !

Last edited: 6 Feb 2010
  11. crispin

crispin

singularity i'm firmly in your boat with regards to things like this. Im suspect of microbac7 and frankly have stopped using it as i think it may be fueling my algae problem at the moment.

but much like all advances it takes someone to sit down (ok maybe it takes a couple of people to sit down and think) about a certain topic before it goes forward. Take skimming as an example. Yes there are those who think that skimmers are pointless and should be replaced by a scrubber, but frankly i disagree with that. The advances in skimming (as a simplistic example, you could take lights or internal flow or calcium reactors etc etc etc) have taken a huge amount of research and once it starts comming right we see massive advances in the ability we have to keep stable systems.

water conditioners vs time to cycle? I agree with you fairly strongly and i will happily wait out an extra 5 or 6 weeks on a cycle if i need to (ok i may tap my foot and fiddle with the equipment but not stock untill I feel the tank is ready) But at the same time its worth watching advances in the hobby and i personally feel that these sorts of products (how live is the 'live bacteria?') are of interest. If they are continued to be researched and add a benfit to the systems i for one will give them a go, but i err on the side of causion and wait till we know there are benifits before starting out.

things change and develop, we make 10 mistakes for every forward step we take in this hobby.but if and when a step is taken forward its worth noting it:)

12. superscenic

superscenic Thread Starter Galactic Archchancellor

Obviously Singularity is giving good sound MASA advice with suggesting a patient and natural cycle. Somebody has to scream patience to noobs like me. Henk my darling do you never ever troll? ;)

Actually Henk, thank you very much to get back so quickly with the details. You are my hero. That is indeed the "snake oil" that will be greasing my new tank. Well done in bringing in another fine product.

@Crispin and Singularity. Of course your views are the correct approach to fish-keeping, but please understand the following:

I am new to this and have learned a lot from Gawie and will be getting his advice and that of others for the duration this project. Many a time have I heard the horror tales of eager noobs putting fish in their tank months too early. I appreciate that patience is key.

No livestock will be introduced into my tank until minimum 3 months realistically 6 months have gone by and my tank is approved by my "consultant/s" as safe. And then it will be low risk things like pulsing zenia. Certainly any problems will be due to my mismanagement and not additives.

My tank is completely sterile: reggies playsand with no live rock. All the rock I made myself as the third batch of my artificial rock series. The previous two batches are already pink in peoples tanks. Because of this "sterility" it will be the perfect place to test new microbes. Although all the water will be NSW from the start.

I think it will be a good way to see when and what kind of algae is produced. Also I wont run the risk of killing anything besides the microbes I introduce. I think it will be good to see what a noob like me achieves as I will likely need all the help I can get.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2010
  13. crispin

crispin

in that case please document your progress with pics so that we can all follow:)

14. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

The only issue I have with your project is this:

Unless you zap the NSW with ozone, you are definately NOT gonna have a STERILE system.

Otherwise,

good luck and please give us regular updates on your experiment!

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

i am concerned with what we dose in our tanks to control certain perameters that we can measure. but we cannot measure the level of some of the things we dose ( our livestock must live in it)

16. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Play nice:nono:

:biggrin:

17. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

ah lanzo, any news on the reactor ? :p

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

coming in next week

Will keep you posted:thumbup:

19. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Superscenic

I have both Prodibio & MicrobeLift products in stock. i have used both & here is my take on it (Henk dont kill me)

Prodibio seems to work faster but is more expensive. Overdosing could also occur easier

MicrobeLift takes a bit longer to "kick in", cheaper and easier to get the dosage right

My 2C

20. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Look bro i have been using NSW for 2years now and i never had problems...Yer people want you to spend plenty moola on expensive salts...Why?

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

I agree with crispin microbac7 is is fueling algae and has stopped dosing it...

Recent Posts