This question again: What Skimmer to get?

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new skimmer for my +- 500 l system.
(300 l display, 200 l sump).
At this stage I have 2 "no name" brands, and i don't think it's working that well....

I'm willing to spend +- R1200 for a new skimmer....
So what will it be?

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
A Reeftek TS2 will do an excellent job there.Not too sure what the going price is though.Might just be slightly over your budget,and in reefkeeping we are always busting our budget:p
Thanks!
Budget - what's that...?:whistling:
Can I eat it...?:lol:

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
TS1 is about R1200, TS2 about R1600+/-

TS1 = Up to 350L
TS2 = Up to 750L

Choice is yours.

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
yea, i re-edited my post with more info. have a look. personally i would try save for the TS2 since your water volume exceeds that which a TS1 can handle. But its a choice of over skimming or under skimming.

Mtroboer

Chromis
Reaction score
I would def go for the TS2, even on my 340L setup! This way you'll save in the long run. I currently have a TS1 I bought about 2 months ago, but I am allready looking to upgrade to a TS2 or a ReefOcto in the near future. Nothing wrong with the TS1 just want a bigger skimmer in case the shit hit the fan one day!

Andreas

Flame Angel
Reaction score
yip rather buy the biggest skimmer you can afford, even if cant afford it save longer.
i've heard many people complain later on that they should've got a bigger one as you can then always upgrade the tank volume and still be on the safe side.
i planned on buying a TS3 but got the TS4 for the exact same reason.

many people say that the skimmer is one of the biggest investments for your setup:)

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
yip rather buy the biggest skimmer you can afford, even if cant afford it save longer.
i've heard many people complain later on that they should've got a bigger one as you can then always upgrade the tank volume and still be on the safe side.
i planned on buying a TS3 but got the TS4 for the exact same reason.

many people say that the skimmer is one of the biggest investments for your setup:)

Where should one draw the line?
Is it not then rather better for me to save and buy the TS3, or is that a total over kill?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Where should one draw the line?
Is it not then rather better for me to save and buy the TS3, or is that a total over kill?
My total water volume is +- 750l
My skimmer is rated for a 3000l-3500l tank.+ im adding on another skimmer which is rated for a 1500l tank. ;)

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
My total water volume is +- 750l
My skimmer is rated for a 3000l-3500l tank.+ im adding on another skimmer which is rated for a 1500l tank. ;)
My word!
So.....maybe I should look at something bigger than the TS2....So that i'll be ready for the future stockings.
Does a bigger skimmer means i can get more live stock?
Or not really?

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
My word!
So.....maybe I should look at something bigger than the TS2....So that i'll be ready for the future stockings.
Or not really?

Another question:
I've noted that the TS2 is rated for 750l and the cost is +- R1600
The TS3 is rated for 1500l and the cost is +-R3380 - exactly double as TS2.
So is it better to get 2 TS2 or 1 TS3?

Andreas

Flame Angel
Reaction score
rather phone around because the price on the TS3 etc have come down quite drastically;)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My word!
Or not really?

Another question:
W.r.t to the first part of your question Raven - in theory, YES - you should be able to keep more fish, of less fish but bigger fish. BUT, this is always a fine line situation.....

I have a total of +-870 litres of water in my tank - I have 2 x TS2's running. So, in total I have +-1400 of skimming happening on my +-870 litres of water....

I would always rather go for 2 skimmers. So, that IF the one skimmer "dies" or has a problem, you have a second skimmer keeping you tank/system going.....
;)

Raven

Blenny
Reaction score
Raven,get the largest skimmer you can afford. As far as stocking level goes,keep in mind not too many fish per system (swimming space).As for corals,with a large skimmer yes you can increase your coral bio load.
Thanks Makaeel,

But would you go for 2 TS2 or the 1 TS3?
as both options will give you the same water volume processing...(in theory in any case)