This is why you should respect the possibility of a stonefish under foot!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 15 Jan 2014.

1. pkc

pkc

This is just to show their capacity to hide.
    The toxin is quite dangerous from them, the last time I was stung it took 4 hours for the pain to subside and this one was in 4 foot of water near many people standing and swimming, there were over ten in a 40 foot area, no one there believed what was said to be near their feet.
    I see any where from 1 to 15 on near each collecting/field trip in SEQ.
    Personally after all these years, they stick out like a saw thumb!

Hiding.
    [​IMG]
    In hand and this one was moved away.
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

thats amazing... so its not deadly?

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Sure you got stung by a stonefish and not another scorpion like a false stonefish (Scorpaenopsis diabolus)? Stonefish venom is about on par with cobra venom and usually needs hospitalisation and antivenom. At the very least hot water treatment. About 15 years ago in Mozambique one of the local fisherman stepped on one in a rockpool and died a few hours later. You usually have paralysis and breathing difficulties with stonefish stings. Scorpion stings just hurt like hell.

5. King_Triton

King_Triton

Should have caught me one :)

6. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

There are quite a few around Durban (not as many as false stonefish though). One big bugger that lives on Vetchies. Lost a nice wrasse to one last year. Was chasing it between rocks and then one of the rocks opened it's mouth and snatched it.

7. King_Triton

King_Triton

Lmao... I need to find me one of them eating rocks. Either I'm not looking in the right place or I didn't notice it. Really want one for my predator setup. Was looking for other scorps too but no luck.

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

There are many, many scorpions on Vetchies. You need sharp eyes though.

9. King_Triton

King_Triton

Didn't go there. Will make a stop there when I'm down in April.

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I have been diving for over 40 years and collecting for over 30 years you realise??

Mate that day I put my closed fist down on the floor of the ocean as I always do to make sure not much area touches what ever is there, the spines went in that thin skin over your knuckles, I know what a stone fish is, I have seen thousands and use to collect them for the guys that did the venom work on them and two guys that wanted them for displays.
    We were on an island that day, no access to any help, I just had to wait out the pain as others have had to do if not a lot of toxin gets injected into you.
    The antennatta is more dangerous then the stonefish, its toxin is most certainly fatale!

And I certainly know what all our local scorpion types are and what a Caledonia stinger is that some fools think are actual stonefish.

A mate was being towed behind his boat driven by his other mate and he came off the boogy board he was on at a place called Wellington point, the suburb I live in but I don’t live on the actual point, his hand went onto a stone fish at speed as he was being towed quite fast in shallowish waters and the spine was logged and broke off in the bone on the end of one of his fingers, he was off work for two months!
    These are a couple of our reference sections on local marine life that’s relevant, sort of.
    Stone fish.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1312-stone-fish-found-near-brisbane-in-seq
    Lion fish
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1291-lion-fish-found-near-brisbane-in-seq
    I thought I put a pic or two of stingers in here but after looking I must have forgotten, I will fix it in time, I have many pics of those uglies from our collecting trip threads, just a case of searching through them, I don’t want to search through my thousands of original pics.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1066-other-marine-aquarium-fish-species-found-near-brisbane-in-seq

I had to go to hospital for a scorpion fish sting in the late 90s, my wrist swelled up so much that I couldn’t drive my boat back, my mate drove.
    I shoved my hand under a ledge to grab a cray and the dam thing got me as it was up side down under the ledge at the top of it.
    It took nearly six months for the fluid that built up making my hand/wrist huge that nearly cut off the circulation to my hand to diminish.
    That was painful for sure, but nothing beats the usually fatal sting of a certain type of sea urchin we have here in deep water, that was a very close call, I nearly checked out in 115 feet of water with that one.
    The ocean is mind blowing beautiful, but at every turn it is trying to kill me, when you use it as much as I do.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2014
  11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Guess you got lucky that the spines didn't penetrate deep.

I've been hit by my antennata (and grazed by my mombasae) during tank maintenance and never had any reaction besides it hurting like hell and some minor swelling for a few hours.

12. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

You are lucky, here they regard that lions toxin with a higher rating then the stone fish.
    That day I was in a hurry, big mistake in the ocean.
    I do things in certain ways to account for mistakes, but there are mistakes made, so far I have survived my many!
    Some rules I try to work by out there, never do it with out looking and thinking and never show fear or let the rate or breathing go up when confronted.
    A big day this weekend is planned, the vis has finally came back a bit and that allows for some deep stuff, I hope my old age doesn't allow for any silly mistakes.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2014
  13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

14. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Maybe, any way I am wary of them and they are nearly the only thing I haven't been stung by yet, including our Auzy killer jellies.

Recent Posts