This is me. Now what?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Aquamatix, 26 Sep 2011.

1. Aquamatix

Aquamatix

Helloooo fishy people!

My name is Waldo, and I live in Cape Town's Southern Suburbs. I just started writing this, when I wondered upon the website of PhutureLab - who is based very near me!

So I phoned them up and have made an appointment to see Zayne tomorrow. Hopefully this starts me off in the right direction...

Anyway, as I was about to say before getting sidetracks: I'm completely new to this hobby, and don't even own a tank yet. I've done a LOT of reading, including the links on this forum, and am just about ready to start. I'm not in a mad hurry, but I would like to at least start...

Initially I was thinking of going down the route of a Boyu all-in-one system, but some of the posts here have put me off that! So now I'm considering Zayne's M120 system, which is 120x45x45, and comes with a sump, wave maker, reasonable lights, etc. It is also fully upgradeable, and even though I'm probably going to opt for a skimmer from the word go, I hope that the system is flexible enough to allow for upgrades as I go along.

Am I crazy for wanting to get on this horse?!?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome dude.. List the specs, price and upload some pics of the system you are thinking of getting and we can give you advice from there :)

4. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Yes, you're crazy but :welcometomasa2:to the broke side... :goofy: It's REALLY fun here...:mbounce:

5. Tridan

Tridan

Welcome to the addiction

6. Electrician24

Electrician24

Welcome welcomeani
    Hope you saved a lot of spending money.:1:

Addicted

7. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

Welcome, +1 load some pics of what you planning to get ;-)

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:

9. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marines:)

just a small note, id try get a tank thats wider and deeper than 45. Id aim at around 70 wide and 60-65 deep if you can. this adds huge advantages later on when it comes to aquascaping (easier in a wider tank) and the deeper tank will give you more water vollume, easier scaping ideas (more verticle lift for coral placement) while not impacting too badly on light penertration

10. crispin

crispin

can your pocket stretch to the M120S? at 120x60x60 its a nicer size and i am sure you will be happier with it in the long run.

id def go with a skimmer from the get go. its an essencial piece of equipment (imho) and a good brand makes all the difference. I know you are looking at the phuturelab skimmers which is great as it comes with the tank. however do shop around, you shpould be able to slip a number iof different skimmer makes or models under the tank and it might be worth your while to shop aroiund. Ive never used a phuturelab skimmer and from what i have heard they do a good job, but it may be worth your while to shop around.

Aquamatix likes this.
  11. Aquamatix

Aquamatix Thread Starter

crispin, I think that since it is impossible to change the size of the tank later, I'll follow your advice and try for the 120S. I'm meeting them tomorrow, so will see if I can push them on price - the tanks are made very near where I live, and I may be able to negotiate a good deal.

12. crispin

crispin

go for it fella, you'll be glad for the additional width later on :)

13. Boegie

Boegie

:welcometomasa2:

14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

15. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Welcome dude. Take Crispin's advice and go big. It will save you money, as you'll want to upgrade the size in a few months.

16. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Aquamatix ... Hey dude, Zayne phuturelab is my dealer aswell, awesum product line, his designs are based on aquamedic and come @ much reasonable prices.... However @crispin is corect on the size issue, but seeing that you goin to Zaynes store, hava look @ his display, its the one @crispin is talking about.... His tank is a literal All-in-1 ..... An his lights aren't just good enuf,its aqua medic driven balasts and lamps(optional) only in his awesum looking black or white slimlime (with built in cooling fans) casing..... So checkit out, you'll like wat u see for sure , an yes WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Aquamatix

Aquamatix Thread Starter

Okay, here's an update: I went to see the seller today, and had a very long and interesting discussion with him. After seeing the tanks in real life, and also the size of the cabinets, I have decided to stick with the smaller version. I know, I know - you've all given me advice to the contrary, but I just physically don't have any more room, and since the cabinets stick out another +-2cm from the sides of the tank all the way around, it was becoming a huge issue. So even though I know I might be sorry later, I'm forced to opt for the 120x45x45 - I'll just have to plan carefully, and be realistic about the amount of aquascaping, etc. I can do!

The system I'm now considering consists of:
    - Tank (10mm glass)
    - Sump kit with plumbing and uplift pump (not 100% sure of the specs)
    - Skimmer unit housed inside the sump
    - Heater
    - Dual T5 Unit (white/blue) - clip-on type, so I should be able to upgrade to more lights later?
    - Power supply with timer
    - Wave pump / power head (suction mount, 2000l/h - I reckon this might need upgrading at some point?)
    - Sand
    - Installation

Total cost is around R5k. Waiting time for the build is about two weeks. At which point do I start a thread for it ;)

Recent Posts