Thinking of starting a new reef tank.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by fish4life., 17 Apr 2010.

1. fish4life.

fish4life.

Hi All

Some 33 years ago I had some great marine tanks, manged in some small way to breed a few seahorses. And most of all had fun.

I looking at a area in my home in my kitchen that would be great for a reef tank with front and top views.

Size of tank I looking at is 2800Lx400Wx400H or 500H. I have a lot of space under the tank but not all is easy to get to once tank is in.What thickness glass would I need for no brace and what type of glass. I want it to be clear.

I have a very large skylight over the tank roof area, but feel I would need more light.

Years ago it was a task to keep marine, but I would like to look at the best way to set up this tank that would allow for the lowest amount of work on it, once set up.

I can build the tank my self and the stand, but if there is persons wanting to do it and the cost :peroni::peroni::peroni::peroni:are good please email me. I would also consider some one looking after the tank for me every month/ week - but I would like a really competent person to help me on this. There own tank would be a good reference.

Thank you in advance.

Fish4life.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

All the best :)

4. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hi and welcome to MASA

5. seank

seank

1st of all, welcome to Masa. Great site where most of your questions gets answered (we do not do marriage counseling :whistling: )

I see you in Joburg, there are guys that does maintenence- I think you need to speak to Bob the Reefbuilder or Adriaan or anyone for this matter at Idol Marine. I doubt you need to look at their tank to get joy- these guys are serious about reefkeeping. Good luck in your venture

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA - glad you joined. Sorry for saying this and with all do respect, but you sound old :whistling:
    Kept marine tanks 33 years ago? Damn... :p
    Maybe we can learn from you :)
    I agree with Sean, the guys at Idol marine will sort you out - give them a call (check in the sponsors forum)

7. fish4life.

fish4life. Thread Starter

Thank you all, I went to Idol marine shop and was blown away by there tanks.The best I ever seen in my life better than CT aquarium small tanks and only matched by Mandalay bay sea aquarium. That what got me thinking. But I lazy / busy.
    At the time of looking I had no idea how advanced the hobby has become but after reading this site I can see it a art and science- so I still looking at this carefully - old well I was keeping these sea fishes from the age of 12 -14 and then found out about the the fairer sex. Thanks again

8. seank

seank

Pleasure

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

Technology! ;)

Recent Posts