Thinking of starting a nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by brokedown.melodies, 10 Jun 2009.

1. brokedown.melodies

brokedown.melodies

Hey guys

I'm thinking of starting up a nano tank. Was looking at the Boyu TL-550. Not sure what other similar options are available in Cape Town? What kind of mods are recommended? I'm fairly new to all this... had a freshwater tank when i was much younger.

I'm thinking of starting with FOWLR and maybe adding some coral at a later stage. Stocking ideas are:

1 x common clownfish
    1 x firefish
    Maybe some kind of goby with a paired shrimp...
    And the CUC.

Would I be able to add anything else or would that be pushing it?

Would the lights be okay for some kinds of soft corals?

Thanks a lot...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RUAN

RUAN

a warm welcome from us all

masahello

4. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

brokedown welcome

5. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hiya Breakdown Melodies! VERY INTERESTING NAME! ;)
    A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board!

To answer you questions - look at our sponsors here in Cape Town. I know that NAAC (Somerset West) and Sam's Aquariums (Bergvliet) sells these nano's. This is the bigger of the lot. It does come with a tiny skimmer, as far as I know - BUT, this skimmer is a wee bit useless...

I also know that the water overflow is also always an issue - so, I know that the owners always end up changing the overflow..... not 100% exactly sure how, though - because I don't own one (never have - I MIGHT invest in one still).......

PLEASE just take into account that keeping marines in a nano tank, requires a HUGE lot more maintenance, that what a bigger tank (with more water volume) would require.

Your stocking list is 100%.... especially to start off with. Later on, you can perhaps add a small pygmy angel.....
    PLEASE DON'T EVEN THINK of adding a tang to a nano tank..... Because tangs requires a HUGE tank. Yes - tangs HAVE been kept in small tanks - but, they do tend to die, at some stage or another, due to white-spot (c. irritans)....

Good luck with your journey - and PLEASE keep us updated with your decisions. ALSO - PLEASE POST PICS AS YOU GO ALONG!

Enjoy the journey - and PLEASE don't be afraid to ask AS MANY QUESTIONS AS POSSIBLE!

Also - PLEASE DON'T JUST BELIEVE ANY Local Pet/fish store's advice. They have a financial interest in selling you "stuff" (and lifestock).....

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA! Meaning behind the name? Just curious...

Enjoy it here with us and don't be shy to ask - and please do before buying anything, might save you a couple of $$$.
    Read through my signature for some great marine info and also look through the nano forum on ideas and mods.

Keep us updated and remember to let the tank run the full cycle of 4 - 6 weeks before adding anything (livestock) to it - if water tests fine. Live rock must be added in the beginning though to assist with the cycle as it's one of the biological filters :)

:wave2:

8. brokedown.melodies

brokedown.melodies Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

jacques... thanks for the advice. I've been reading up on what fish are good for nanos... wouldn't want to make anything suffer for the sake of getting a few kicks. Would love to get a bigger tank but it's not really practical at this point... mostly because of space constraints. As for the stocking, are these fish readily available in cape town?

Thanks tobes... I'll start reading up on those nano mods. As for the name... there's a song by Jack Johnson called a brokedown melody... just one of those things that caught my eye.

I was thinking of starting with around 10kg of live rock... would that be okay?

And one last question... I've read that tap water is definitely a no go. My only problem is I don't know of any places nearby that sell RO water. How long can you let it stand for if I had to buy a few months worth of water changes/top ups?

9. koeks

koeks

ro water will be fine if you keep it in a cool dark place im sure you would be able to keep a month or two supply

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Cape town reefers???????????

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Brokedown Melodies - Any one of the Cape Town sponsors (ie. NAAC, Sam's Aquarium), sells RO water...... You can also try any of the other LFS's that are not sponsors....

You can have a look here: lfs.dottedline.co.za

12. brokedown.melodies

brokedown.melodies Thread Starter

Thanks again guys... appreciate the help.

The only problem is that my nearest LFS (that I know about) is still quite a drive away. Not the end of the world... just prefer to find something a little closer or an alternate source. If I can keep the water for a month it's not too bad though...

13. corylyle1

corylyle1

Welcome to MASA. I have a TL550 and have had no prroblems!! I think its a great tank!! Maybe a bit small though!!

Recent Posts