Thinking of putting my sump OUTSIDE

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by mytank, 5 Sep 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

So its been a hard long road for me and my tank and already thinking of upgrades and maybe even bigger tank. My first prize though is to keep the DT inside and to move the sump and all other equipment outside.

Now been doing research asked @dallasg and @maxisoft and the first angle was NOT to put it outside due to our extreme temperatures in Jozi. With the purchase of a RO unit, looking at a chiller I am starting to think ****IF***** I start the upgrade process I want the engine room outside.

No I am lucky where my tank is the joining wall for the DT is so I can drill a 22 hole in the wall to run the plumbing and electronics :)

My worries are what are the pit falls heat \ freezing ....

experiences from anyone?

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Any reverse cycle lightning for macro algae and flying night insects.

Temperature extreme.

Sunlight, can overheat your sump.

Dog drinking your saltwater (or trying).

Kids and soccer. Kids and cricket. Kids and anything they can think of doing.

I would put it in a Wendy house. And it should be easy to insulate the Wendy house.

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Oh :) I would def put it in some sort of housing.... wouldn't want it open to anything. So we can discount:

1. Dog
    2. Kids
    3. Toys
    4. Direct sunlight (it's on a covered patio)

What I am more worried about is:

1. How to deal with temperature extremes (advise?)
    2. Any other unknowns I might not be thinking of.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

6. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thanks will have a look at it now. From what I have been reading on the weekend its the temp changes that are going to kill me.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well you getting a chiller now, so should be fine, in winter can always add an extra heater if needed

8. Adee

Adee

If I had redo mine again, I would have the sump laid level in the earth...enclosed in brick work like it part of the house, roof tiles and ceiling insulation. What water volume is you whole system going to be?

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ahh so here is the million dollar question. I am not going to keep the house for ever so would need to be "movable".

As for the size of the tank right now on a 200l and would prob have a sump much bigger than the actual DT right now. I am planning on going bigger just don't know when now or in the new house in a year or so.

10. 2balive

2balive

You could use a double sided material for the enclosure with a insulating material in-between. Both for the walls and the door.

A snazzy option would be double glazed windows, but you will have to think about light penetration and it will be ridicules expensive, perhaps only used it for a section of the front doors.

Best, economical and durable would be perspex or plastic sheets sandwiching "think pink" or foamilite. You could also use marine-ply for the outside of the sandwich, but you will have to seal it well. Would this on a stainless steel or galvanised frame.

I did a design for one once with a sump, freshwater top-up, new salt water storage and all the equipment inside. See if it is still on the site or on my hard drive.

11. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

That would be awesome :) I was thinking of starting with a frame of a builders hore house plastic shed that way its easy to put up and down. Insluating would mostly be for the heat right?

12. 2balive

2balive

You would have to put a shade roof with an air-gap over it to keep the sun off if it is going to be outside in direct sun, but afternoon sun can still be quite hectic. A fan and/or chiller could take care of the heat load.

I would be more worried about the cold in Jhb, if you get a 0 degree night you will have to make sure the enclosure is well isolated and the pipes leading back to the tank as well.

Think temperature control is going to be tricky. As you will have to "overheat" it in winter/nights to compensate for the temperature drop in the pipelines going back to the tank, but in the day the drop will be much less, so you are going to get temperature swings. The closer you have the two together the better.

You could have a mixing/reheat chamber close the DT, but that would kind of defeat the purpose of putting everything outside?

Last edited: 5 Sep 2011
  13. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Hmmm very very true, Its back to back and the enclosure would be under cover on the patio so it's away from any direct sun. Getting a chiller more worried about the winter....

14. 2balive

2balive

If it is back to back and on a patio, it should be fine, just insulate the enclosure well, make sure the gaps between the doors and wall is covered and overlapping. There is some good pipe insulation available now as well.

15. Amoré

Amoré

Yes as @RiaanP said, I am now the owner, not sadly though, I am super happy with my tank.

You can go check out what i did outside

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts