Thinking of converting need some answers please

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ziyaadb, 21 May 2008.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

HI all

So i am Really tempted to start a fish only tank as i Know that there is no possibility of me going full reef on my current $$$ status, I have some questions that i need answered as i am going to be on a budget here and really cant afford to spend as much as i would like as i will always be on a strict budget. So before i do anything hasty i want all ducks in a row as to decide weather to start saving for the equipment or get the tropheus that the tank was originally purchased for.
    so here are the specs of the tank at the moment:

1.8*0.5H*0.45 drilled for overflow has marine sump already total volume is around 500L with sump and i have 2 return pumps that can be used the original haleia 2880L/ph that came with the tank or a 7000LpH pump haleia as well, heater i have as well just need to pick that up,I have a friend who would be able to sort me out with RO water,
    according to my knowledge what i would need to buy would be:
    Live rock (what is the minimum amount that i can buy remember im on a strict budget here)
    skimmer - what brand type ect(Second hand would be fine with me Remember the budget)
    water movement equipment (can i use big power heads i know people are gona say get seios but remember the budget)
    Lights (would t8 be ok as i have about 4 ballast and just need ok light to see the fish)
    Testing equipment
    Salt

My questions would be:

How much am i looking at spending to get the equipment above?
    How often am i looking at doing water changes i like to keep the fish healthy and water clean?
    what impact does load shedding have on the sytem in regards to water parimeters, i know that the bacetria die off in FW tanks what happens in SW tanks?
    Can i use play sand in the dsb?
    whats the purpose of water movement in the tank(reason for seios)?

I am looking at keeping some brightly coloured hardy fish which are easy to feed
    any recommendations so i have have a look at what they look like?

I am not in a major rush to set it up

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

he Ziyaad
    LR i'l say about 20 kgs(minimum) and the balance can be ceramic which will be much cheaper and create alot of caves and crevices for the fish to swim around.
    a good skimmer will be something in the Reeftek or Reefoctopus.i think the Reefoctopus DNW 150 sells for around R2500.00 but im sure you will beable to pick up a second hand skimmer.
    normal powerheads will be fine,you can at a later stge buy Seios.
    FOWLR T8s will be fine
    since it just fish,you dont really need to test for Ca,Mg,and Alk
    salt-Rio Real Ocean.

4. Mekaeel

a 50l water change on the system weekly will be fine if you have a decent skimmer.
    loadshedding reduces the oxygen levels in the system,but battery powered airpumps should take care of that.
    play sand will be fine to use!
    water movement will help in stopping detritus settlement which will lead to nitrate and phosphate issues.
    you can go for angels butterflies etc...

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Thanks man, so because i will be keeping only fish there is no need to test for anything else besides alkalinity? and load shedding will only cause a loss of oxygen and nothing else to the system well except for temp loss?

6. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Well, if your power stays off for hours and hours, you'll have to manually let water flow through your sump or the bacteria there will die off. But, say, 3 or 4hours should be fine (it's happened to my tank with no ill effects). O, and the heater you "still need to pick" is still safe ;)

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

LOL thanks G, gona havta make a plan to get it someday thanks for keeping it safe for me

8. Andreas

Andreas

hi ziyaadb.welcome boet!

nope you'd need to test for ammoniak, nitrites, nitrates, salinity and that basically that for FOWRL. A reef system would be the same and what mek said.

hope this helps!glad that your taking your time and deciding because most people I know that started out with Marines just jumped into it and lost a lot of money.

viper357 likes this.
  9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome man but i have been here a while, LOOL man i have to take my time as i do not have enough cash to spend lol so i wana make sure no bucks are wasted in the process, was supposed to set up a nano but decided to rather go big or stay with my fresh water setup

10. Mekaeel

glad you thinking this way :thumbup: .many of us,including me were mislead and realised how much of money was wasted.buy the slowly,but buy the best

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Ziyaad - I would rather say, go for a bigger skimmer, and skimp more on the live rock...
    You can rather get less live rock, and spend that extra money on a better skimmer....

One ReefTek TS2 should be good enough for your tank - you are looking at (new) +-R1500 to 1700 for the TS2....

Live rock (for really good live rock) would set you back a minimum of +-R130 per kilogram (10kg's = R1300 - 20kg's = R2600)..
    Rather get some bio-rock for 80% of the live rock, and for the rest of the 20% get some really decent live rock....

The rest of the kit is MORE than ample for a fish only system... you don't need strong lighting at all....

12. Mekaeel

hey Jacques,any idea how many litres the ts2 is rated for?

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I stand to correction but I think the TS2 is rated for about 700 litres as the TS1 is 350 litres and the TS3 is 1500 litres.

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Thanks Jacques makes sense

15. jacquesb

Mekaeel - Viper is correct. I first thought that it was for 750 litres and the TS3 for 1500 litres....

BUT - I know one thing - Millepora told me that the skimmer does not know how much water it is skimming. ONLY that if you have more water to skim, the longer it would take to skim crap out of more water! :)

16. Mekaeel

thanks Jaques.and the DNW 150 is rated for 850l,correct?

17. jacquesb

Hi Mekaeel - I have just confirmed that it is rated for 800 litres. You know the difference as well between TS and DNW ;-)

One being in-sump and the other recirculating external skimmer....

18. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Thread Starter

Jacques could you please explain the difference bet the 2 to me?

19. jacquesb

OK - ziyaad - the ReefOctopus range is made in the same factory as the ReefTek range.
    The design differences between the two, was specialized, that the ReefTek TS range works IN-SUMP, where as the ReefOctopus DNW range was designed to work externally to the tank/sump (stand-alone).

There are pro's and con's to both.

The ReefOctopus generally skims slightly better, because of usually being fed water directly from the tank overflow outlet (most common plumbing). You can also use a small 800 to 1000 litre per hour pump to supply the ReefOctopus skimmer with water from the 1st compartment of the sump. This DNW range also (mostly - I have heard of some that does not) recirculate. That means that the water is skimmed over and over again, until there is no more proteins (Dissolved organic matter (DOM), and particulate organic matter(POM)) in the water anymore. Therefor the slightly better skimming... These skimmers have seperate pumps to supply water, and seperate pumps to supply air....
    These skimmers do sometimes leak though, and this can cause MAJOR crap if the skimmer is outside of the sump.

ReefTek pumps are designed (and it is found best) to place the TS skimmer in the 1st compartment of the sump, where the tank's over-flow outlet is running into. This means that the skimmer get's "raw" tank water to skim, and the water have not been pre-filtered. Meaning that more DOMs and POM's are skimmed out by the skimmer. The TS also sometimes does SOME recirculation, as the water is expelled back into the tank and back into the exact same sump compartment where the skimmer is located. The skimmer pump then also sucks this same water back into the skimmer. These skimmers have pumps that acts both as water supply as well as air-supply.

viper357 likes this.
  20. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

The in-sump version (TS) are located in the sump (surprise!) - i.e. it 'stands in the water'.
    The recirculating external version stands out of the water and is fed water through the overflow, or from some pump connected to it via some kind of pipe.

21. jacquesb

Just one more thing Ziyaad - the TS skimmers sometimes comes with the same pump as the ReefOctopus skimmers - a ReefOctopus OTP-2000. Mostly, the TS skimmers come with ReSun skimmers (2400 litre per hour pumps).

I have found that the ReefOctopus pumps work MUCH better than the ReSun pumps.... (they produce MUCH more finer bubbles in the skimmer body).

Recent Posts